Good Life Wednesday at my place

Wed 3rd, Aug, 2011

601 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 601 Buffer 0 601 Flares ×

20110803-01-beach-cottage-shop-balls

G’day!

Happy Good Life Wednesday to you lovely BCer’s.

I wanted to show you some little BC lanterns…

I love lanterns and I have them stashed all over this cottage…it’s really easy to make them from jam/mason jars…just tie some wire to the top and hey presto…I made a bunch of these and hung them outside from the old fig tree…it looks too sweet at night…I need to seriously improve my night-taking photography skills though to show you..

20110803-02-beach-cottage-shop-bottles

I also like to just pop flowers in them….very simple yet effective…and of course hitting the old decorating-on-a-budget button pretty nicely…vintage glass, a few shells and a bunch of drugstore flowers…you can’t go wrong ;-)

20110803-03-beach-cottage-shop-mason-jars

I propped these on this old ladder I  have sitting in the corner of the deck…this old ladder has proved to be one of those side-of-the-road finds that is priceless…it couldn’t really have come to me more perfectly dressed for this tatty old cottage…old weathered rope tied here and there, some vintage stamping of the company name, just right faded old paint splats…not bad for picking it up on the school run for nothing…I love dressing this up…it’s quicker and easier than tablescaping…though I have to say there have been a couple of accidents on here with things falling off as little herberts run past and knock things off..I can deal with that…just…

I have been sitting out here on the deck with a cup of tea reading my book for Good Life Wednesday…it is drizzling with rain here on the beaches…excellent deck and book weather :-)

I hope you are enjoying Wednesday wherever you are?

Adios

20110803-04-beach-cottage-ladder-shop

33 Responses to “Good Life Wednesday at my place”

1. kalanicut says:

Sarah, I adore these, they are so charming. That ladder is fantastic. I have been thinking about ladders as bit as I keep seeing some fantastic uses for them to display and organize. Your home is looking so fantastic. I love that you’ve put it all together with smart shopping and a good creative eye. I love looking through your photos of your fantastic design work.

2. loulou says:

Hello Sarah

Oh to be staying home today reading a bit of book! I think that sounds divine.

I love the ladder

I used to have one and sold it a long time ago (Now with much regret).

lovely placement of the bottles and jars – so peaceful looking

take care and have a lovely catch up day

x

Loulou

3. Manda says:

Hello Sarah
    Love the pics…always inspirational. Thank-you. I have a crepe myrtle off our back deck that I embellish with little lanterns just like yours. I can never so no to keeping an empty jar, never know what use they may have in their next life ;)
    And could you please share where you picked up the fabby rope door stop? I have looked on line and found a blog that teaches you to make you own, was wondering if that is what you did?

Enjoy this cloudy Sydney day.
    x
    manda

4. If only I were closer I would happily bring the wine and brownies :)

5. Betsy says:

I love your pictures; they are lovely and inspirational! I love your rope doorstop! I am a new follower; I love your blog!

6. Hi there,

I added a link on your Good Life Wednesday today. Thank you for the opportunity and for throwing your fabulous linking parties!

I just wanted to alert you to an error on my part. The first of the links was an error. (number 33). I changed the URL and submitted again (number 35) Apologies for this. Feel free to delete number 33!!

Thanks and have a lovely day!

Alison Mudie on behalf of James Butchart

7. Kirsty says:

Love the lighting in these pics, spot on!

8. Anonymous says:

Hi Sarah,
    I’m joining your party today for the first time! I love what you have done with the ladder and the sweet little jars and pretty tulips.
    Have a fabulous day!
    Cindy

9. Marnie says:

Thanks for hosting today…is it just me or has this week just flown by?
    x Marnie

10. Melinda says:

I wonder what you are reading Sarah? Ive just been sitting with a cup of tea and finished The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O’Farrell – lovely but a bit sad at the end. Like those jars, will whip some up and fill with some of the sunny fluffy wattle, that is going bonkers all around here – good inspiration as usual, thanks.

11. thanks so much for your kind words on my pink rocking chair! I absolutely LOVE your ladder ~ beautiful pics!

12. Susan says:

I have played tennis… I am learning….. had my fifth lesson today. And went to “that shop we don’t admit to going to all the time but we secretly do”…. to buy some new, fresh lunchbox fridgey pack thingos and bulk paper towels for little puddles my new puppies leave :)

The weather here is downright glorious and I even put on a lovely white cotton dress to channel a bit of Spring weather…… although the breeze was a bit too chill……

Susan xx

13. bianca says:

Wow, I can’t believe you found that ladder by the side of the road! My grandad has a beautiful old ladder but I know my mum is eyeing it off also!! I just caught up on your last 5 posts for my good life wednesday :)

14. Anonymous says:

They are so charming! I adore these! Love the pictures! Very inspiring.

15. Fab pictures!!!…Fab blog ! This is the word that comes to my mind as I check your posts. Really, really beautiful and enjoyable
    I just found your blog and I love it! Since now you have a new follower and I invited you to visit mine.
    Cheer
    iela

16. Giulia says:

Lovely. I was thinking of getting a shorter vintage step ladder to serve as my son’s night table…Love how the they look.

17. sibylle says:

love the ladder!!! You could one day maybe hang it horizontally and make a beach cottage book shelf out of it;-)

18. Hi Sarah
    How do you attach the wire to the jars.?
    I know dumb question but I just can’t picture how you do it.

19. Love the ladder. I am in the process of creating a light fixture with some little jars, so this is very timely.

20. Kerry Rossow says:

Your link up is the perfect mid-week inspiration! Thank you for hosting!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

21. Hi Sarah-

Your day sounds divine – rainy drizzly day reading a good book – good life Wednesday for sure. I hope you enjoyed your day.
    My best- Diane

22. marcia says:

Hi Sarah, Thanks for hosting this weekly party. I love your posts and visiting other bloggers from all over the world. Have a great week, Marcia in Cali

23. Lizette says:

More great ideas! I’m so glad I found your blog! Your pictures are so beautiful!

24. Thanks for hosting. Some very interesting links, as always.

25. jody says:

Just discovered your site . . . here’s how . . .I googled Ikea shades because Ikea just opened here in Colorado and boom your site was right up there. Anyhoo, I started poking around, your site is just lovely. I love the beach which is odd as I find myself 12 years in Colorado but hey, we have cool stuff here too. Thanks Sarah for sharing your love all things beach cottage. Big smile.

26. Eileen says:

I love that ladder of yours Sarah, and think it is extra fine because you “found” it. I love it when I find something special like that on the road.
    I’ve been looking for a small one for my plants but no luck yet. I know I would just love setting things up on an old ladder, can’t wait to find the perfect one. I especially enjoyed your pics today. I just love the tulip in those jars. Ive done the same thing with old spagetti jars, dangling from the trees and deck, with little tea lites inside. So magical isn’t it? I just got a new camera DSLR and have no idea what I am doing, I really need to read the manual. these are nothing like the old manual slr. But I do love to take pics, while wondering about!!
    Thanks again for this great linky party. I want to start one but not so sure if I am capable of keeping up.

27. Cottage Gal says:

Keep up the cool blogging girl!

28. Siggie says:

Hi! Love the ladder idea…gee, you can pull anything off with your sense of style!
    I don’t have much room for one in our regular “quarters”, but I plan on putting one up in the bathroom for towels, I”ll be on the lookout for one!
    Cheers

29. Jami says:

Darling little lanterns. Thank you for hosing!

30. Jami says:

Um, yeah. That would be “hosting.”

31. Renee says:

Do you know how to make that rope ball?