A Mess of Flowers

Thu 14th, Jul, 2011

1.1K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1.1K Buffer 0 1.1K Flares ×

20110714-01-flowers-white-mason-jar-suitcase

G’day!

Seeing as I have been in a reflective mood ’round here, I thought I would extend that to my blog…

I have been spending time in the garden and planting out a heap of flowers…I absolutely love flowers and have planted a tonne of them  this year…fingers crossed they come up…cannot wait for that to happen…

so I thought I’d have a look at some of the flowers in the cottage this year….

there was Australian Gum…the first time I have decorated with it…and it is divine!

20110714-02-shabby-white-house-chic

and these pretties, on the deck, stuffed in vintage glass & looking pretty…

20110714-03-flowers-decorating

…I just love nothing more than the soft paperyness of these kinda flowers

…instant dress-up in the rattiest old cottage on the beaches

20110714-04-flower-vintage-bottles-decorating

Although this cottage is mostly white..I love adding pops of colour…this year there have been many pops of yellow…a colour previously I was not so hot on…here’s some yellow in the study

20110714-05-Study-Makeover-coastal

I really hope though that this year I will be able to have the sheer pleasure in just stepping outside and picking to my heart’s content..this save a few camelias and of course a glut of frangipani’s has been sorely missing here…

20110714-06-jam-jar-decorating

I love stuffing flowers in old jam jars, something laid-back and casual about that for me…

and I collect ribbon whenever I go to tie around anything that doesn’t move

20110714-07-decorating-white-bedside

I love dahlias with their majestic feel…and this year I have planted loads, I am really hoping these all come up and fill my garden with their colour…(more on those here)

20110714-08-house-decorating-budget-white

Last year I had a obsession with hydrangeas….they did quite well…though I am yet to have the huge bushes absolutely groaning with the large heads…I guess I have to wait a bit longer for that?

20110714-09-a-shabby-hydrangea

…this year has seen a lot of these flowers in just about every room I can manage it…

20110714-10-diy-study-decor

..also tried my hand at herbs as flowers and the scent was amazing…

20110526-05-coastal-cottage-lantern

and for Breast Cancer Awareness we went a bit pink…

20110714-11-cupcake-liner-garland

old bottles painted white and topped with white and my beautiful camelias was really pretty…

20110714-12-white-vintage-bottles

then there was the tablescaping with flowers and lemons...loved that

20110714-13-chicbeachcottageblogcoastalnautical-645x976

…piling them on the coffee table with stacks of old vintage china…(more here)

20110714-14-white-vintage-blue-china

20110714-15-jugs-vintage-china-flowers

simple budget daisies on the backs of chairs was an idea that I loved (you can see more on those here)

20110407-16-mason-jar-vase-daisies

and last but not least…my fave and I have been collecting some more glass things to do this again, just because I love it…hanging vintage bottles with string from the deck roof & plopping in white flowers

20110714-16-078p

Hope you enjoyed the BC Flower Round-up?

Happy Days

39 Responses to “A Mess of Flowers”

1. You could decorate with weeds and I would love it! You have such a wonderful talent of creating a cozy and pretty home and I really enjoy being able to come along on your home and Australia adventures….I borrowed your idea of the jars hanging from the back of chairs for a party and the gals didn’t stop talking about it all night! Thanks :)

2. loulou says:

It looks like you have lisianthus flowers in the photo – I am not sure if you have but it looks so close if it isn’t. They are one of my absolute favourite flower ever! So soft and femine.

I love it – thank you as always for taking me on a holiday – I am a first time commenter on your blog and have loved it forever – honestly.

Hearts to you Sarah for all your hard work you do for us.

I have just recently started my own blog and had thought about it for about a year.

have a lovely day

Admiration

Loulou
    x

3. Rupa says:

wow… gorgeous. You are so so talented !! I love how you just make it all look so simple and easy to do !
    Rupa

4. Rupa says:

back again, I just had to say that I can’t stop staring at the first pic !!

5. nicole says:

so very pretty

6. Cas says:

Hi Sarah :) Yup, it is so lovely to be able to go out and pick flower from your own garden…I don’t have many varieties yet so I’ve recently done the same thing as you and planted a whole stack in hopes that they will all bloom beautifully when it warms up! I love all the photos in this post…and I may just have to borrow your flowers-in-hanging-bottles idea for an upcoming dinner party ;)
    Cas x

7. They are all so beautiful. I must plant some more flower plants, the joy they give far exceeds the input required.

8. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the second photo. Perfectly beautiful.

9. Kirsty says:

Wow. You’ve really outdone yourself with your photography in this post Sarah! Stunning.

10. Angie says:

Wow cant believe you grew all those pretties ! You truly have a green thumb. Dahlias….oh they were my moms favorite and she had a huge bed of them !

11. Deanne says:

I love your flowers, you have inspired me to have more flowers in my house (even if they are just cheap supermarket finds) often in old vintage bottles. I am definitely thinking I need to plant some flowers in my garden ready for spring and as soon as the front of my house is painted I will be putting in loads of hydrangeas.

12. laxsupermom says:

What a beautiful recap! I love how simply you display your blooms! So pretty! Thanks for sharing.

13. oh wow!!! my head is about to fall off with all these pretty flowers!! thanks for reminding to put some fresh flowers out. I usually go to the food store on Fridays to pick them up but I haven’t in a few weeks!!

yes I am a huge fan of flowers with those paper like petals. Anything that look like a peoni also seems to catch my eye and I seem to fall in love. Loving camelias at the momment, I am even trying to grow some cuttings but the dog decided they would make great chew sticks, I managed to salvage two. Time will tell if I was on time to save the cuttings…sigh… I can’t wait to get my garden sorted so I can start picking flowers from my own garden too (and I will need to figure out how to deal with all the spiders that love making a home in my garden flowers too….shudder). I loveeee that purple bottle, it looks so good amongst all your white!

15. Rachael says:

how could anyone not love that flower roundup?!? i want to purchase flowers for my apartment every weekend but realize they would just go to waste seeing as how we’re never, ever home… instead i just stop and smell the roses, in the local florist :)

16. teres says:

love love love!

what kind of flowers are in pictures 3 and 4? love those!!!

and be patient on the hydrangeas! they take a few years to really bush up and be heavy with big moppy flowers! and experiment with lime additive in the soil to turn the hydrangea flowers different colors – from pink to purple to periwinkle blue to green! enjoy!

teres
    with love from winnipeg, manitoba canada – hot hot hot here this week with thursday and friday sitting at +44 celsius and +41 celsius respectively – no igloos here!

17. Tammi says:

Don’t fresh flowers scream happiness! Love this roundup, makes me long to grow some myself…though green thumb I am not :)
    x

18. ruth says:

beautiful!!

beautiful images, beautiful flowers, inspirational.

x

19. Zosia says:

A lovely floral retrospect. I’ve seen some of your posts with these photos before, but it is so nice to see them all at once here. Have a great day!

20. Laura says:

I love the vase the yellow flowers are in. It looks nice and sturdy… just what I need around this little place. Is that a thrift find or store brought? Lx

21. Cheryl says:

Such a wonderful collection of photos~ As I look through them, I see so many things that you sold in your shop. Are you thinking of opening it again? Please know that I can’t begin to imagine how time consuming that had to have been. If you don’t, I am just so please that I have your table runner and napkins…. I get so many compliments on them!!!!

22. Amanda says:

I love your flower round up Sarah – although I do agree with Sarah & her first comment when she says you could decorate with weeds and make them look great! I’m crazy about dahlias too – in fact I may have gone a little overboard this year – 2 boxes of tubers were delivered to me yesterday. How exciting it will be when these are all bursting with blooms!

23. Such a lovely post and gorgeous styling! Your home looks beautiful too xx

24. Now that is my kind of mess! Love the purple vase especially.

25. HRH Sarah says:

Great ideas, Sarah! A year of loveliness, thanks for sharing all these beauties in one post.

26. Stunning as usual. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

27. All of the flowers are real show stoppers against the white. You are so artistic…I am so happy that you share all your ideas.

28. Rene says:

Your images are absolutely stunning! The flowers are all so pretty against the lovely white canvas. All of your little touches add loads of charm to your home. Wishing you many flowers for picking :)

29. Your photos are amazing!
    xo jana

30. Anonymous says:

Love your blog Sarah, follow you everyday.
    I would like to do my study similar to yours but can’t find oilcloth in Fremantle area, would love to get the latte and white spot.
    Where did you get yours?
    Cheri

31. Barefoot Liz says:

I love how you always use fresh flowers in your decorating. It always looks so fresh and inviting!

32. I enjoyed that tour very much. By the way, I was a but late reading everyone’s blogs as I’m busy, busy, but I wanted to thank you for the lemoncello’s recipe. I tasted lemoncello a few years ago at an Italian friend’s mom’s and always wanted to make some. As soon as I’m back home, I’ll try your recipe.

33. Donna says:

White color is really stunning! the flowers added a stunning view from it… great job!

34. kim says:

OH MY GOSH! Where did you get that adorable purple bottle (in # 3&4)??? It’s adorable… I’ll have to keep a look out for purple bottles now!

35. Rob says:

I think this is one of my favourite posts Sarah, love the purple bottle, it looks stunning and the shot with the lemons in the jar and on the ladder is a winner. When there is not much left in the decorating budget….there is always flowers and fruit! Robx

36. Cassandra says:

I absolutely love the hanging bottles! I am so bad at keeping fresh flowers around but I love this because even without the flowers they would look great and I may be better at remembering to put flowers in them :). What height do you hang them at?

37. These flower arrangements are absolutely lovely.