The BC Deck & at last a New Door

Thu 3rd, Feb, 2011

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

201102-Patio-Door-01

G’day!

We are in a bit of a mess here in BC Land & I thought you might like to see what it looks like around here right now.

Finally, finally after waiting for a long time we have a new door going in to replace the h i d e o u s old one that I have lived with and loathed with a vengeance.

201102-Patio-Door-02

I have to be honest I haven’t thought much further than just delighting in getting rid of the old one, though we will be making over the deck in light of this huge improvement…the new door will go nearly across the whole room and have a central opener improving the flow from the Family Room out to the garden…and I am looking right now for a new outdoor sofa for the end…I am actually hoping to find an old vintage bench that I can dress up with heaps of cushions…but we all know the trouble with vintage treasure hunting is it takes time…you can’t just hop out and throw money at it ;-)

There was actually quite a lot to take into consideration here and more than one door person tried to convince me into the joys of  bi-fold doors which are everywhere here…but I don’t know I just never like how they fold back all lumpy into the room..although they are the ultimate in indoor/outdoor living and great in this climate….what I really wanted were lovely wooden French doors opening from the centre…but after much deliberation I had to accept that these would have eaten up a lot of space on the deck and considering we spend most of the year out there, eating, on the sofa or on the other side with the bbq we decided that we’d rather have living space than a leetle bit of Frenchie in the door department..

So that’s it from me…the great thing about renovations?  You can make excuses not to do housework.

Please keep Australia in your thoughts

Queenslanders are yet again doing it tough with Cyclone Yasi

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

26 Responses to “The BC Deck & at last a New Door”

1. Angie says:

Wow that is going to be great ! My daughter just got a big new sliding patio door with gorgeous minis between the glass..no more dusting. I myself prefer the patio doors with the panes that LOOK like French doors. Cant wait to see your finished product ! Hey have you thought of a daybed for that sofa? I saw a wooden slatted one painted white LOADED with cushions.. Very nice but Id prob laze about on it and never get anything done.

2. Jem says:

Those will let in so much light, exciting! :-)

3. Tricia Rose says:

What about an Indian oxcart? Fantastic lounging potential (though they are quite big), you can get them in ethnic shops.

I want a porch swing.

4. Julia says:

Exciting! Have you seen the new bi-fold doors that are available now? We’ve just installed them in a traditional looking home – they look like french doors, function like bi-folds (opening out) but actually sit back flat against the house when fully open so they don’t take up all the deck – absolutely brilliant. You can configure them anyway you want too – opening from centre, one door opening from side and stacking back etc. I’m sure if we can ge them here in NZ then Oz will be bound to have them available :-)

5. Ellen says:

Wow this should be great! I am a big fan of lots of natural light flooding the room! :) Can’t wait to see the pics!

6. I hope everyone in Australia will be ok. This is a lot to take for such a short time period. Your room is going to look great with the bigger doors, though! Thank you for sharing this, can’t wait to see when it’s done!

I am so excited for you! We have been re-doing our deck area also for the past year, it is coming together nicely and we are almost there…. I can’t wait to see the end result.

8. carla says:

Fantastic, I’m so pleased for you, I know how long you have been waiting for this to be done. Cant wait to see the finished job ;o) xx

9. Vikki says:

Sarah … I feel your pain with the doors! I just recently finished a huge renovation to our home in San Jose del Cabo. We replaced our sliding glass doors with pocket doors and we LOVE them. It’s amazing when they are all folded back into the walls how open and larger the space feels. I have them in a post on my blog if you want to look and see if they are something you would be interested in.

I love your beautiful blog,

Vikki

10. colleen says:

..wow trying to get on your blog …but can only see half of it?…maybe its my computer but …not sure!????

11. Lisa says:

Hi Sarah,
    the renovation is all the sweeter for having had a long wait before hand. On the subject of and outdoor sofa, I’ve seen a few vintage iron daybed type ones, and they look not-so-comfy, and a bit smallish. We’ve been given a timber single bed slat frame. I’m planning to convert it into a day bed, all spiffed up with some paint. Then I can chuck a mattress, covered in whatever slipcover fabric I please, along with a bunch of beachy vintage looking cushions. Do you have any spare single beds hanging around?

Your hatred for your sliding door cracks me up. We put a sliding door into the outside wall of a bedroom onto a pergola. The opposite interior wall had our family room on the other side. We put a square arch in, so you can see all the way through that room to our pergola. We were so excited to have it opened up and let all that light in. Before it was a closed in room with a small window.
    Make the most of minimal housework during the heatwave.

Cheers,
    Lisa x

12. Lisa says:

Lol, why does that not surprise me ;-)

Cheers,
    Lisa x

13. Kelly Ash says:

Wow I am so happy for you! Not only do you have warmer weather (the northeast US was hit by some major blizzards – we have 3 feet of snow outside our door) but you also are getting new doors and have a deck!

Believe it or not, I have a door in my kitchen that goes …. nowhere! It opens to nothing and is about 4 feet off the ground. We definitely need a deck, or at least some stairs. I think I need to remind my husband when it gets closer to the spring – he is our handyman so we know all about DIY jobs!

So glad you are getting some renovations done!

~Kelly

14. always something going on at A Beach Cottage! Charmaine

15. Jaimie says:

Hooray! I am so excited to see the new door installed!

16. Barefoot Liz says:

How nice it will be with all that glorious light!

17. indiansummer says:

I love lots of natural light, too. Good luck, Sarah. I’m sure whatever you end up doing, it’ll be great and you’ll love it!

18. Rachelle says:

Can’t wait to see it all done, it’s going to look great! And I love the light fixture, I had thought about getting one like it for about my dining room table. Seeing it in your room makes me want it even more.

19. Cant wait to see what you chose! Fiona

20. Melissa says:

Can’t wait to see it finished! We have identical doors that I can’t wait to get rid of!!!

21. Wow, your house (and blog) is gorgeous! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!

22. Rachel says:

I’m in love with the light in the living room. Do you mind sharing where you bought it?

23. Sandy Ang says:

Just love the soft white of your decor. Wish you’d come and do up my home !

24. Sandra says:

Sarah… I am a newbie and look forward to your updates now that we are redoing a beach home on an IKEA budget! Love all your ideas-it is really helping us along!
    I want to do a similar look across our sliders and had picked out the IKEA Lenda curtains in white and beige. Just wondering if that will do the trick or if there is a strong reason you went with the Aida ones vs. the Lenda ? Thx!!