A Beach Cottage Vintage Finds

Mon 3rd, Jan, 2011

7 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 7 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 7 Flares ×

201101-Vintage-Finds-01

G’day.

Today I am looking back over the wonderful time I have had on vintage treasure hunts over the past year and I am hoping for another year of fun and thrills haha.

One of the downsides of this sporting activity is the house gets pretty packed, there ain’t no minimalism around here..though I have to say I regularly de-crappify too, which sometimes I think makes it all a bit pointless – but then again, there are worse hobbies than going out looking for vintage things, right?

I think right up there in the top few things that I came across and positively lusted after (and with this one spent time stroking on a bad day) was this fishing basket

201101-Vintage-Finds-02

Sooooo, in September there was this vintage cake stand

201101-Vintage-Finds-03

I found to showcase a cake I made that actually was a success…

201101-Vintage-Finds-03

Back in the summer I found an old vintage fan, named her Fran, stuck her in our bedroom and listened to her purr and cool on the balmy summer nights…

201101-Vintage-Finds-04

In May, an old lady tried to fight me in Vinnies for a carafe, but I, chief vintage huntress was all powerful and came home with the water vessel all to myself…

201101-Vintage-Finds-05

and later that month, garage-saling with my husband and a coffee where I tried to bargain using his DIY skills as my card, I scored a vintage pie-crust mirror to add to the collection in the sitting room….

201101-Vintage-Finds-06

We had a new addition in the form of an old typewriter

201101-Vintage-Finds-07

..there were a couple of old rusty, weathered watering cans on my travels around the beaches for treasure this year…

201101-Vintage-Finds-08

as usual, though I really have to stash them away so Mr BC doesn’t find them, there were ahem rather a lot of vintage china finds!

I love coming across Grindley, in any shape or form, this jug was no exception….

201101-Vintage-Finds-09

and there is an ever-growing stash of vintage mixing bowls in my repertoire (note: if you see a vintage mixing bowl while out thrifting, do not pass it up, these are a dream to mix and stir and pay with and are becoming harder to find :-) )

201101-Vintage-Finds-10

I am always on the lookout for beachy vintagey weathered things…sometimes I strike gold with old tatty oars…I had in mind decorating, but the BC Boys preferred using them for soccer

201101-Vintage-Finds-11

One of my fave additions to the BC Crew this year, was Vron, the old vintage camera I found at a garage sale, I have had fun experimenting with photography with her…nothing was safe from us as we took photos of everything…

201101-Vintage-Finds-12

In July, on a trip to find a wing-back chair I actually came home with a haul of beautiful old vintage bottles that I found and picked up for nothing, then on the way home, on the side of the road, the vintage chair…it was double duty treasure hunting!

201101-Vintage-Finds-13

and I just love finding lanterns…new, old, vintage, dusty, bring ‘em on…

201101-Vintage-Finds-14

And that’s it for now, there were lots lots more that never made it online ‘cos they are stuffed in the back of the wardrobe and under the bed and downstairs in the garage keeping well out of Mr BC’s eyes….

Cheers vintage hunt lovers

p.s. we are having a Beach Cottage Giveaway this week!  So stop back soon… ;-)

7 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 7 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 7 Flares ×

25 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Vintage Finds”

1. carla says:

Wow sarah you DID have an awesome vintage finding year!!! I’ve enjoyed every single one with you right along the way and I’m looking forward to much more this coming year ;o).

“Chief vintage Huntress!’ TOO FUNNY!!!! now wouldn’t that look cool on a T shirt!?!

c xx

2. Jojo says:

Just thinking about all the Australians struggling with the flooding and glad to know that you and your family are high and dry. Blessings.

3. Lisa says:

Your art deco style mirror is a match for one I had years ago. So bummed I no longer have it. It was green. Don’t the vintage fans work so much better than the modern ones? Soooo true about the mixing bowls. My mum has one like it, but they are like hens teeth. Here’s to another year of vintage gathering, and lets not worry about the cakes that don’t turn out love, at least the table setting will always be spot on.

Cheers,
    Lisa x

4. I loved reading this recap! Its amazing all the beautiful things we find :)

5. Stacey says:

Well Sarah!
    I was in love with your cottage & your decor BUT now I’m also in love with your vintage finds!! I must be looking in the wrong places! I would love a camera & typewriter…thats all! Maybe this will be my year?
    x Stacey

6. Theresa says:

Absolutely gorgeous!! I’m loving this post. i’m going to Pin it to my Pinterest tonight (when I get home from work) =D happy new year!

7. beth says:

Oh my, Sarah! You did find some beauties last year, didn’t you?!! And of course your stunning photos show them off so perfectly. :)
    Can’t wait to see what’s in store for you in 2011!
    Beth.

8. Barefoot Liz says:

You have so many lovely things in your home. It makes me want to shop. And to live close to the ocean.

9. I could look at these dreamy pictures all day. Not only do you have an eye for vintage finds, but also for how to photograph them! You should do a tutorial! Happy 2011.

10. Rob says:

Well Sarah, start digging around in the wardrobe, and under the bed and downstairs in the garage, cause we want to see all your great finds…just tell hubby you’ve had them for ages…as I do…totally befuddle him. I too have new finds stuffed everywhere and one day when we go home to Australia and we actually need two containers instead of the one we came with, my hubby may twig! Robx

11. Liz says:

Oh Sarah…. sigh. I too am a vintage treasure huntress. However, just last week the thought of placing myself on vintage treasure hunting restriction flitted through my mind. For a second or two. Then the thought went “poof”!
    I have had some wonderful finds this year too and justify most of them with the fact that I will figure out a way to use them in my photography still lifes! Storing them is becoming a bit of an issue, so somehow I will have to part with some of those treasures in the near future after they are photographed. But not the antique child’s wicker rocker. Oh, and not the simple, beautiful spring green rimmed Irish creamer pitcher (It’s perfect for Lily of the Valley). Maybe the antique chair spindles, so delicate in their design. No, can’t part with those either! Ha, ha!
    You have made some great finds and have incorporated them beautifully into your home and photographs! Happy treasure hunting in the new year!
    Liz
    P.S. Now should I go back and get that very old mixing bowl I have been eyeing in the thrift store a few miles down the road?

12. tamara says:

I have an old typewriter that is looking for a good home, however it is so heavy that I can hardly lift it, if anyone in the UK can collect from Cambridgeshire I’d just be looking for a donation to the WaterAid charity.

13. Cindy says:

You have found some wonderful stuff in your forages. I love the vintage bottles and the camera!
    Hugs, Cindy

14. Sharon Forward says:

Now that is what I call eye candy! Last year a few of my favs were a mirror like your oval one, a retro wooden sewing box and my fav a jug for 50p from a boot fair! but hey I am fairly new to this game and I like it!

15. Michelle says:

I love all the old different style mirrors on the living room wall. They look great!

16. Delcie says:

The mirrors on the wall are one of my favourites AND the vintage bottles. Here’s to another year of thrifting and vintage finds!!

17. Erika says:

I really loved this Sarah! All of the photos look gorgeous…And of course all its contents! WOW!!! Have a wonderful year and I wish you a special eye for all the treasures out there…May you find all the beauty in the dusty glory, so that we may read their story (honestly I didn’t mean for it to rhyme, lol) Love,
    E.

18. Jinia says:

Lurking wanting to say I too enjoy the hunt! I enjoy your blog very much!

19. Heather says:

Way to hide if from the Mr.! I find that is a terrific trick! Quick hammer it on the wall and he’ll probably never notice. When he does, “hmmm… looks better than I thought it would.”

Thanks for the wrap-up! Happy New Years to you thriften’ Queen :)

20. Aw, I thought I was the only one who hid all of my lovely finds in random closets, under the couch, and in the trunk of my car….

Heh heh heh. :)

21. Hi Sarah…you truly did score…all year long! My favorites are the mirrors and the fishing basket. Maybe I will try and find one to pay hommage to my fisherman!

Happy New Year!

22. Melinda says:

Nice review of some lovely vintage finds…inspires me to see what I can find this new year…

23. loving the 2010 flashbacks sarah!!

can’t believe how many i’ve seen through with you now!

happy 2011 sweet!

melissa …x

24. kim says:

I adore that fan! My find (that I will hopefully find this year) is an old candlestick telephone… i already the little telephone table for it!

25. Puff says:

Awesome camera! My uncle used to have one that looks almost the same but it didn’t have the leather case like yours…oh and the suggestion from stephenie about the tutorial was great!