BC Tourism Australia & The Not So Dumb Blonde

Thu 14th, Oct, 2010

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

201010-Tourism-Blonde-01

Morning!

I am sitting here on the deck with a coffee and reading the papers, listening to the humdrum of morning tv.

And what’s going on over here, is that a British branding expert (really, there are branding experts?) by the name of Simon Anholt has named Australia as the ‘dumb blonde’ of the world’, as attractive but shallow & unintelligent!

I read through the article funnily enough while I was choosing a few snaps to show you just another stunning Australian view.

201010-Tourism-Blonde-02

And while, yes, I know where Simon is coming from..and indeed I myself experienced this blinkered view of Australia recently when I went back to the Old Country…

201010-Tourism-Blonde-03

But I had a little chuckle to myself

Because, as any blonde knows..

..the dumb ones are those not in the know

201010-Tourism-Blonde-04

for this my friend’s is the lucky country.

And don’t we know it.

Love from Down Under

p.s. my tiny little shop is opening for pre-orders only next week

be there…if you like  Beach Cottage Nautical Stripes

201010-Tourism-Blonde-05

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

27 Responses to “BC Tourism Australia & The Not So Dumb Blonde”

1. carla says:

They’re just jealous Sarah……..everyone knows blondes have more fun!!!! Lol!

I don’t care what other countries think of us Aussies, I love living in Australia, I was born in the UK and have lived in Africa too and Australia from EVERY angle in my humble view is the Best place on Earth!!!

Looking forward to next week and a bit of pre- ordering action ;o) xx

2. Bethan says:

Rain, cold, grey skies, overcrowding etc, etc ……or……sunshine, warmth, blue skies, freedom etc, etc. I know what I’d choose! Been in Aus 5 years now and I love it!. I can almost hear the sea when I look at the beautiful photos that you posted today – lovely. x

3. Ldom says:

America gets a bad rap too from the British media… I always smile when I’m listening to UK radio over Sirius… listening to the summer weather forecast for England… rain… rain… rain… while I enjoy a long hot summer… Lx

4. colleen says:

…our daughter …a not so dumb brunette, is in your fair country …she says the people are amazing the scenery …breathtaking…..Thank you for welcoming her & capturing her heart….Australia!

5. Angie Smith says:

LOL I hate the way that the media depicts all Southerners as dumb rednecks. I prefer to think of us as more refined than others and enjoying a slower way of life!

Angie

6. A very strange article dont you think Sarah? sometimes I wonder if these journalists write this rot just to rile people up and get a reaction. All it shows to me is a real sense of inadequacy on the journalists part. Maybe us Aussies need to shout out how fabulous we are a bit more lol!!! They had an interesting discussion about this on the ABC radio today where they metioned per capita (we are actually not very populated considering the size of our country) Australians are some of the highest achievers in the world. Particulary our spoting prowess. I think we are allowed to feel proud of this point amongst many other things :0)
    alicia

• well our “spoting” might be good but I actually meant SPORTING ;0)

• carla says:

Hehe! Na you got it right I reckon….. we are pretty good at spotting a moron suffering from sour grape syndrome. Who knows maybe we refused him a visa!!??!!

for sure Alicia, I heard that per capita thing too…not surprising is it?

and yep for sure these things are often a publicity stunt…I musta heard about a million times today!

7. What beautiful photo’s Sarah! You must feel so fortunate every day to live where you do.
    Also wanted to tell you that I am loving the new kitchen shelving. Those spice pots on the magnet are so divine…never seen that before.
    Wish we had Ikea here in South Africa!!
    :-))

8. Sarah…who is this Simon Anholt when he’s not whinging in the media……

if he turns off others, with views like his own narrow ones , from living in the beautiful & educated country that is australia…i for one, say yehar…

for every one silly narrow minded *dumb* brit professing to be a *branding expert*, fortunately for us aussies, there are a million gorgeous brits like yourself who just giggle in his face!……

tell me who is missing our here…not you and the other *Smart blondes* – thats for sure!!

huge hugs to the british aussie contingent living happily in my fair country

melissa xx

wow very well said Melissa, hoorah!

• carla says:

Good point, well made!!! Anyone whose mind is small enough and narrow enough to take what he says seriously is most probably not going to fit in here in the Lucky Country!! xx

9. Julienne says:

Who cares what he says…we know!

Your photography just keeps getting better and better Sarah. xx

blushing, thanks, I *really want to read my camera manual…I am just pointing and shooting which is limiting…never enough time in the day….

10. Robynne says:

It amazes me here in England how interested people are in Australia, and how little they know of it. People either want to tell me about their trip to Aus or how much they want to vist Aus…and most of them simply don’t know what they’re missing! The photo of that seagull is amazing…great shot Sarah!

11. irene says:

hi sarah, just stumbled upon your site and it just takes my breath away!!!!! what a life by the sea……..love those sea pix and your shabby chic home decoration! i wish someday i could realize such dream:)

12. Fede says:

Has this Simon Anholt ever BEEN to Australia????? He should take a better look. I have been one of the lucky ones to visit last July, I loved it. And I’m lucky again that my 3 sons are studying there so I can go back !!!!!!
    Woderful people, wonderfull country, keep it all to youselves, let no Simon Anholt go ruin it!!!!!
    I wish I lived in a country like yours!!!!

13. Barefoot Liz says:

You really make me want to live near the ocean. It must be so relaxing!

14. LindyLouMac says:

Who cares what the media says, these sea shots are superb, I want to be there :)

15. cindy says:

Hi Sarah,
    Gorgeous photos!!! You are so smart to live in that wonderful place! I can easily see why you must love it.
    Cindy

16. Well, I’ve heard if you want to get attention…start talking about something you know nothing about and soon or later you’ll have people talking about you…good or bad. Sounds like maybe somebody is trying for attention…bad attention perhaps, but attention nonetheless. For some that is good enough even if what they say is negative, misleading, or just plain hooey!

Jan @ BabyBoomerBuzz.com

17. Lesley says:

Anholt did a survey on the perceptions of peoplle. It’s not his view, it’s the perception of others. I heard him interviewed a couple of tiomes this week.

I guess it’s like a lot of people around the world having an opinion or perception about the USA or Sweden etc.

The question is I guess… how do we change perceptions of people in other countries?
    Lesley

18. Kirsty says:

I don’t understand the article.
    Kirsty from Australia.