A Beach Cottage Does Blueberries in Salad

Wed 6th, Oct, 2010

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

201010-Salad-01

G’day.

Wow you are back here even after seeing me with no make-up & painting clothes ;-)

Sheesh.

I love sharing recipes, the hasty scribbling down of ingredients, the reading of others’ cookbooks and now for me the very unexpected side-effect of Facebooking…sharing what we are cooking and eating in our everyday lives as mums and wives or single gals…be it a tuna sandwich or an unknown and exciting new delight such as one I learned recently, namely, ‘Dirty Rice’….we seem to talk a whole lot about food over there.

But Facebook, however, is not where I discovered this nod to a recipe and I have to admit right now, truth be known I never thought I would be sharing a green salad recipe with blueberries in it for as a rule I don’t so much love fruit with savoury.

Here though I came upon this in the most perfect of settings…propped on a stool at the kitchen bench with a drink…watching..

I was, actually over for dinner at the house of the mum of an Aussie friend of mine…

And as she pottered with the meat & started cutting up avocado we talked about a crumble-type pudding she’d made for me on another occasion and as we chatted she pulled down from a shelf high above an old school exercise book, I nearly cried out, so up my alley…all brown and weathered and aged…crisp as the 50 yr old pages turned….inside were handwritten recipes with notations scribbled on at a later date, clippings from newspapers over the years and pages gathered from magazines with scribbled additions here & there.

201010-Salad-02

I loved this old book & am constantly on the lookout for them while I thrift…something about a collection of recipes gathered through time…best thing being, it by-passes that irritating trendy-food thing going on…

Anyway, as I was copying out the crumble recipe she continued with the salad…chopping and adding….and then out came the blueberries…ooh said I, this salad looks fabulous!  And continued to badger her with questions.  But as one of those with the talent to not only amalgamate beautiful home-cooking with calming hostess qualities, she shrugged and said ‘oh I just throw it all together, whatever I fancy’.

201010-Salad-03

I of course, as one who uses that line fairly often, knew this not, in any shape or form, to be true.  I knew her ‘throwing it all together’ came from years of practice, from many torn out pages from magazines, much scribbling down of recipes…a gathering of her throw-it-all-together knowledge.

201010-Salad-02

And so I watched and took mental notes….and here it is.

201010-Salad-04

I assure you there is nothing fancy-schmancy in the making of this and it may well have just a tad too many ingredients to satisfy the trendies

…but it’s the addition of the little blue beauties that does it….you may well have had blueberries in this guise before…I though have not and for me they sit there looking gem-like distinguished amongst the regular greens

…and to me, because as ever when looking for a recipe I am erring on the slovenly route, this was, and is, the kind of salad you can pretty much whip up in no time, is more than substantial enough to stand-alone with a joint of roasted meat and best of all presents beautifully imbuing all around you with the idea that you indeed are the queen of salads when in actual fact you simply gathered, ripped open & threw a few packets around.

My kinda cooking.

See you all later

p.s. nuts as to your choice ;-)  I used those from one of those packs of mixed nuts..

201010-Salad-05

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

25 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Does Blueberries in Salad”

1. Pearl Maple says:

yumm!
    like the thought of a sweet berry on aalad fork

2. Angelina says:

that look really delicious *yummie*

Angelina ♥

3. Bev says:

I <3 blueberries. Thanks Sarah !

4. cityfarmer says:

oh yeah … I’ve added berries all summer to our salads!!!!

5. Leonie-Australia says:

That’s my kind of recipe & it looks yummy! I would be interested in your vinaigrette recipe if you would like to share, I have never made it.
    Thanks Sara

6. Linda Jacobs says:

It looks delish! Did you get pictures of the old cookbook? I’m in the process of compiling all my mom’s, my mother-in-law’s, and our grandmother’s recipes into a book for my son. I’m trying to retain that “old” feeling.

7. Robynne says:

My mum had a great old navy blue ledger full of recipes that had been ripped off tins and out of mags and then pasted in…..unfortunately it got lost in a move….either that or my dad threw it out. I would just love to have that book now, it had the best egg and bacon pie recipe that was originally on a Carnation milk tin!

8. marcia says:

Sounds delicious! Reminds me of one of the best salads I have ever eaten this past spring while in Santa Monica. It was spinach leaves, strawberries, toasted pecans, and feta cheese. It was then tossed in a lite balsamic vinegarette. Thanks for sharing, Marcia in California

9. Jacqui says:

Oh yummie! What a lovely salad! I always add honey roasted nuts to my salads, gives an interesting flavour. Thanks for the lovely post

10. Laurie says:

I only recently discovered I like Blueberries. Now you have made them look even more appealing! YUM!

11. marylou says:

I think the recipe is lovely and your presentation beautiful, but, what really impressed
    me was your writing skills…..absolutely delicious Sarah and my favorite work of art with
    computer keys so far…..I .admire your gift with electronic chat and always look forward to
    a new post from you ((*_*))
    **smiles**

12. megs says:

mmm, I’m a fan of fruit in green salads!

13. Barefoot Liz says:

I’m going to make that salad but will leave out the nuts. Maybe I’ll add sunflower seeds. Yum!

14. Yummie! I love mandrin oranges in my salad with red peppers. The flavors complement one another. Had that for dinner last night. Ooooo.

Jan @ BellaCasa
    BabyBoomerBuzz.com

15. This is great!!! I used dried cranberries and mandarin oranges in mine!

But I will definitely try this, I have a ton of blueberries!!
    God bless!

16. Angela says:

Enjoy your blog. Am looking for a post I viewed recently about a new kitchen rug. Was that one you posted? Thanks.

17. Kirsty says:

Yum! Antioxidant packed meals! Aunty Who? (Hopefully you’re Australian enough to know that ad Sarah) hehe

18. ecogrrl says:

i love blueberries in salad, especially with FETA…yummmmm

19. Amy @ Journey Mum says:

I have to admit I can not recall ever having blueberries in a salad! You make it look absolutely delicious. I’m looking forward to trying something new!

20. it sounds delightful.

i got DH to pick me up a recipe journal from the post office the other day and have been madly gathering together recipes that keep coming up on blogs, facebook, twitter, friends and family etc.

I am going to add this one in as it just sounds and looks so good.
    Living in WA i am always on the look out for new and different salads for summer.

21. liz grundvig says:

Yay, I have all the ingredients! Tomorrow’s lunch, maybe?

22. Aly says:

I made this salad for a BBQ on the weekend and it was a HIT!
    It has now been added to my salad creation rotation!
    Thanks Sarah!