A Beach Cottage Decorates – Old Fridge Makeover

Mon 6th, Sep, 2010

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

201009-Fridge-Painting-01

G’day!

Hope the weekend treated you well.  It did us.  And for sure we didn’t get many of those DIY jobs done.  But we did do lots of R & R.

Father’s Day here Down Under saw us on the beach for most of the morning…with a nice coffee….the afternoon took us to the bush, the boys built a fire…and barbeuqued chicken while I soaked up the warmth, read the Sunday papers propped in a chair with a drink…it’s been too long since I did that.  We finished off toasting marshmallows and a cup of tea.

Now, then, this fridge is the only thing I did get going on…it was one ugly fridge that we recently acquired…with a few rusty spots and a daggy old handle past it’s best.. the pic actually makes it look a whole lot better than it actually, in reality, was….inside though no worries and even better after being zapped with a gallon of elbow grease and the sixth member of the BC Crew, my trusty bottle of Dettol.

Not being our main fridge I thought I’d have a go at upcycling, giving it a bit of the Beach Cottage treatment, playing a part in saving this planet for the kids and a few more years of service before it’s toast…here is the WIP…after a few coats of the b o r i n g  prep stuff…looks better already huh?

201009-Fridge-Painting-02

Wanna guess what I did with it?  I’m taking bets…

And I’m telling you, this turned out far far better than I’d hoped, I, my lovely lovely BCer’s  am rocking this old fridge, yep my life really is that exciting!

I’ll be back soon with the after

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

43 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Decorates – Old Fridge Makeover”

1. Patricia says:

Your trusty tin of Zinsser B-I-N…….right?

Is that a freezer or fridge?

2. Ldom says:

The hubby and I saw white board paint today… did you?? Or, have you been slapping that blackboard paint on? Happy Fathers Day to Mr BC! Lx

3. Tammi N says:

I’m thinking chalkboard but am probably way off base.

I was actually intrigued when I saw ‘fridge makeover’ on your to-do-list as we have a little bar fridge that sits out on our patio/bbq area that needs a bit of TLC after being exposed to the elements.

Can’t wait for the reveal.

4. Angie Rodeillat Smith says:

That zisser is the bomb ! Much better than what I used to use ! Covers ANYTHING

5. cherrie says:

Monogrammed it? Or stencil info like it was a sea trunk?

6. Rachel says:

~*~* I LOVE your blog!! Your home is so beachy beautiful~*~* :) Blessings,Rachel

7. Di says:

I’m thinking chalkboard paint…..can’t wait to see.

8. Jolene says:

Same… I thinking chalk boardpaint would be cool….

9. Karen Davis says:

I’m guessing something that involved chalkboard paint… because that’s what I would have done!

10. Hmm what did you do? I am torn between beadboard wallpaper or chalkboard paint….
    Well that would be my first go-to’s for this project anyway. Or maybe you Laura Ashley-d it? Neah, you have something wild up your sleeve, I am sure of it.

11. Alison Gibbs says:

Funny how everine syas chalkboard paint.
    I think maybe you have also written/stencilled A Beach Cottage on it
    Alison

12. Alison Gibbs says:

What were my fingers thinking – it is meant to say – Funny how everyone says chalkboard paint
    Alison

13. Anne says:

Yep I am with those gals, chalk board paint is the go………….come on show us, stop teasing………….

14. Anne says:

mmmmmmmmm maybe shells, shells and more shells …….I dunno……..tell us

15. Melissa says:

i am thinking…without any doubt…that you are gonna turn that old boiler into a looker with your blackboard paint!!!

and if it works for you- i’m doing the same!

melissa x

16. Melissa says:

Can I ask what you base coated it in? We have an old fridge that I would love to make over- Never thought of it before now!!!

17. I am thinking maybe decals? Whatever you’ve done I can’t wait to see! Must add your blog to my blogroll so I don’t forget to come back and check!

18. Tiff says:

Oh man! You are such a tease! I wanna see. Can’t wait : )

19. Julienne says:

Will you reveal all tomorrow? Do I just have to guess?

We have a fridge disaster in the laundry that I was going to cover in vinyl wall paper but I don’t think I will ever get around to that!!!!

20. Anne-Marie says:

In two words…

Blackboard paint
    xx

21. lol…you think your life is that exciting hehe…look at how you’ve got us all hanging … waiting…waiting to see what it is you did with your little waif of a fridge! You are a tease! : ) I’m liking the wall paper idea, but yes thinking blackboard paint too…can’t wait to see it tomorrow.

22. I am thinking beach stripes.
    Greetings from Istanbul…off to see U2 in concert this evening!!!

23. Deborah says:

Im thinking your going to put numbers on it… anyway anything you do always looks great so I cant wait x

24. Bev says:

I agree…. chalkboard paint

25. Marci says:

I’m on the edge of my seat too! We’ve got an old ice machine and white full sized fridge on our porch that I would love to work some magic on. I’ve considered chalkboard paint…but I’m actually loving the vinyl decal idea someone mentioned above.
    What did you use for primer?

26. highstreetcottage says:

Can’t wait to see the end result. It looks brand new now, you did a great job! I was thinking you were going to paint words or numbers. These minis make nice wine chillers too. I can visualize the word “vin” or “wine” painted down the middle vertically. Or “boisson”
    meaning wine or drink in french.

27. HRH Sarah says:

Okay, my bet is chalkboard paint!

28. Elaine in Laguna says:

Good Morning (here),

Stripes? Wallpaper? Stencils? Something stainless steel-y to match the kitchen but place on the deck? Let us know soon! PS Is the wiring and/or cord okay on the mini-fridge? Not sure how old or where you picked the item up.

29. Where can I get a gallon of elbow grease please?
    ;-)

30. Mummyboobear says:

I thought I would de-lurk for this one! Love your blog, and although I am into altogether more brighter bits around my house (I live in typical English victorian mid terrace house – its darrrrrk) I am a white wall convert almost! lol. And do love your story and style.

Now that fridge I am thinking and can practically see some chalk board paint on that baby!

Can’t wait to see the big reveal!

MBB x

31. Sarah you rascal! I want to know what you did with it! LOLOL

Makin us wait…………

32. Jaimie says:

I’m guessing either chalkboard paint or that stainless steel paint! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!!

33. V says:

I think stripes or ‘a beach cottage’ stencilled on it. I’d be painting it iced blue but that’s what I’d paint everything!

34. Jacqui says:

Aargh! Cannot stand the suspense!

35. Annette says:

Really looking forward to seeing the finished result!

36. Sarah says:

haha Jacqui too funny, I hope I deliver!!

37. Lisa says: