On the Deck with Australian Polish Vintage Fish

Thu 3rd, Jun, 2010

77 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 77 Buffer 0 77 Flares ×

201006-Deck-01

At the weekend we had a cosy little dinner for three.  It had been pelting down with rain for most of the day, in fact it has been pelting down for what seems like a long time here in Sydney..the wettest May for a good few years apparently.

But it was actually fairly mild and I love that feeling of sitting outside when the rain is coming down…by the time I got to thinking about whether or not we could sit on the deck it was only raining very softly so decided on it…

201006-Deck-02

I don’t know about you but stress-free suppers at my house are what having people over is all about…and I seem to spend an inaudible amount of time devising ways to do little work…though that is not to say things are unorganized…I like to set the table and get everything ready to save any meltdowns.

I cannot abide the word starter, conjures up all sorts of horrid images of horrid little housewifes fussing around with tasteless offerings but invariably there is some sort of one…here it was baked camembert in the box…this is a no-brainer for the hostess challenged ‘starter’…buy a camembert in a box, removed it’s paper wrapping, stuff it back in the box, prick it with some holes, drizzle in some white wine, shove in oven…serve with crusty bread.

201006-Deck-03

And though I refrain from the idea of lots of courses and too much rigmarole I actually do like to serve something that is turns it from run-of-the-mill supper to a bit of a feast…here I tried a new recipe…Polish Baked Fish…I know not why it is named Polish and for sure my fish was Australian.  Brown off a couple of onions and garlic, layer this between fish and ladles of sour cream in between, pour over a glass of wine…top with fresh breadcrumbs, salt and pepper…shove in oven.

Now I must just point out here that if you make a Polish Fish Bake and a Fruit Crumble make sure you distinguish between the two otherwise when your lovely husband goes in to get a beer and you ask him to pop the all too easy Polish Fish Bake in the oven he will actually stick in the Fruit Crumble.

Need I elaborate?

201006-Deck-04

To serve with this a puy lentil, parsley and lemon salad, which was a kinda thrown together last thought addition and turned out to be the perfect partner to the Australian Polish Fish (drain a couple cans of lentils, lug on olive oil, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper…too easy)

201006-Deck-05

And the table dressing?  On a Beach Cottage budget for sure…thrifted furniture, mis-match of chairs, IKEA tableware…vintage decor.

I must mention too the super-flowers…I am hoping with this I will win an award for longest lasting bunch of daisies..the bunch from the Sitting Room the week before last I believe and for sure on their last legs…I ripped them apart, stuck them in the vintage bottles, added some vintage crochet edged napkins for some…you know…and then threw around some shells for some…beach vintage…or coastal style…or country coastal…whatever it is we are calling it.

A very nice evening was had, we sat under the stars late into the night…

Amazing what one can do with Polish fish and a few shells.

gotta run I am looking at doors…inside and screen and am hoping to at last rip out that sliding patio, hoorah

201006-Deck-06

shared at Susan’s event thanks!

77 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 77 Buffer 0 77 Flares ×

35 Responses to “On the Deck with Australian Polish Vintage Fish”

1. m says:

LOVE the tiny shell & tag on the napkins!!!! FAB!

m ^..^

2. I love this setting!! Simply Beautiful!!! All the best, Connie

3. I love the simplicity of this whole tablescape! I really love the centerpice idea! Come link up with my Centerpiece Wednesday party. I would love to have your ideas on there.
    Karin

4. Very chic…
    Daisys do seem to last forever…
    love them,
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings…

5. Tricia Rose says:

Ah that looks lovely Sarah – and once I realised Polish was nationality not furniture polish, I entered the spirit!

6. Beth says:

Love your dining room, Sarah, and your table looks pretty. The food sounds good – you are the hostess with the mostest!

7. gretchen says:

very sweet table setting …

and your “puy lentil, parsley and lemon salad”? next time for a change, you could try it with canned tiny white beans… maybe add some balsamic, too ~

8. Kathy says:

I loved this! I love relaxed eating and that despite the rain, you had a lovely time! I agree with you – so glad you shared your lovely evening!
    Thanks,
    Kathy

9. Natasha says:

Sounds like you had a great time. I am with you on easy entertaining too and I have made that yummy Camembert many times! I always add some garlic to mine before it goes in the oven but I have never added wine-I will try that next time.

Great ideas, thanks!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

10. Maria1319 says:

What a nice table! I love the white and the simple sweetness of the daisies! Great job!

11. Tammi says:

What a lovely ambience you created.

Your menu sounds devine, thanks for sharing.

12. I love the simplicity of your table, it really is stunning! Daisy are so darling, thank you for sharing your beautiful table!
    Hugz,
    Kim

13. Wow, I just never get tired of your tablescapes! Love those napkins with the crocheted edges…beautiful. People just don’t use cloth napkins enough anymore.

Also, that fish recipes sounds delish. I’ll have to try it!

14. Debbie says:

So cozy Sarah…your table is lovely.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog today. I appreciate it lots.
    Debbie@houseatthelake

15. So nice, Sarah. Very calm and peaceful looking out there on the patio. I make the same sort of salad with black eyed peas, very tasty I must say!

I love to sit on our covered deck when it rains, even if we have to get all bundled up to do so. It’s rarely warm here in the evenings, but with enough candles burning no one seems to care!
    Stop by for a visit sometime my friend!
    XO
    Heidi

16. katie in WA, USA says:

sarah: i like the old design BACK on your site! i like that i can read your whole entry w/o having to click on a link to see ‘the rest of the story…’
    =) and i love your tablescape!

beautiful as usual!

17. Melissa says:

I love the table setting it is so relaxing and inviting. You did a great job.

18. Alison Gibbs says:

Simply beautiful Sarah.
    Can’t beat an easy-peasy dinner. Sounds scrumptious.
    The table setting is perfect
    Alison

19. Alicia says:

Hmmm, havent heard of that camembert cheese idea before, sounds intriguing, will have to give it a go. So you seriously leave it in the cardboard box? By the way, thanks for idea of dropping bag on foot of person at oppie who is holding treasure that you want (mentioned in previous post). A new technique i will try next time someone is grasping a vintage eiderdown or the like. So much to learn from your little bloggie ;0)
    alicia

20. The fish recipe sounds delicious and I cannot wait to try it ~ but I am going to call it Beach Cottage Fish Bake.

21. Jeanne says:

You and I have such similar tastes, it is almost scary. Every time I look at one of your pictures, I think, yep, I have that vase, I have that plate, I have that pitcher… My brother calls my decorating “land locked eclectic beach style” but even with his more traditional style, he loves to hear about my treasures.

And where do I find all my treasures? My local Goodwill store here in America. I call it The Treasure Chest. This past Monday’s treasures: a small white birdcage, 2 lead crystal candy dishes, 4 etched glass plates, 4 etched glass dessert bowls, 4 white china coffee cups, 6 black stoneware coffee mugs, small copper gravy boat, tiny brown stoneware creamer pitcher, small silver metal creamer pithcer6 twelve ounce glasses (casino style but taller), 2 8×10 framed mirrors, 4 various size art deco prints with frames, hand blown and signed blue rose bud vase, lamp, seashell theme windchime, dolphin theme windchime, 4 white Ikea side bowls, small silver desk lamp, three sets of 2 candle holders and bunch of silk flowers – Total Cost: $38.00 (U.S.). Most items were 25 cents with the highest item $3.00. Truly my favorite place to shop.

Oh yeah,Saturday was spent bending over piles and piles of every kind of imaginable tile, picking out enough to redo three kitchens – I couldn’t make up mind. Total cost: free. Local guy advertised on Craigslist that his back yard was filled and come pick up whatever you want. His entire back yard! Anyone need a backsplash?

My feet are still hurting. Life is good sometimes.

22. Donna says:

Beautiful as always Sarah, I really love the scalloped edge napkins. I too use cloth and love how such a small thing makes people feel special.Love the tags too. <3

23. Anne-Marie says:

If I still lived in Sydney Sarah I’d be inviting myself to the beach cottage for aussie/polish fish. Of course I’d bring copious amounts of a fine white to accompany said fish.
    And crumble over any fruit is hubby’s favourite but he has to be on his best behaviour before I can be bothered whipping it up.
    Anne-Marie x

24. Tina says:

Your whole evening looks and sounds just perfect Sarah! Thanks for sharing the recipes, the fish sounds fabulous as does the puy lentil salad. Oh OK and so does that camembert – yum! I just love that laid back feel you create!! Hope you have had a lovely week ~ Tina xx

25. Mrs. Pearl says:

Too funny about your husband…sounds a lot like mine!

26. Sarah W. says:

Sounds like a prefect evening to me, though I love a little (or a lot of) rain. Here (in Kentucky) this time of year all we get are violent thunderstorms, not great for sitting outside in. And it’s grand when you can just shove something in the oven.

I agree with whoever up above said they like the old layout to the site better, I didn’t like clicking on the link to read the whole post. Does that make me sound lazy?

27. ellen b says:

Great table, great photography. This is magazine quality for sure :0)

28. The clear bottles with flowers are just lovely.

29. Marigene says:

What a nice serene table.

30. Stacy says:

Ah, you always know how to make me yearn for a beach cottage…or at least your style! :) I love the part where you said. “whatever we’re calling it.” haha Too funny!

31. Why not Beach Cottage style… there may be similar but you have that extra… something… well done Sarah

32. Miss Merrry says:

I love your beach cottage table and setting. It looks like the beach cottage I day dream of! I love your table, the table setting, the chairs; everything! And your coke bottle vases are adorable.

33. Di Nash says:

Hi Sarah
    Gorgeous as usual. Chrysanthemums they are. Just bought a huge bunch from a roadside stall in Duffy’s Forest. $5 Bargain!!
    Di

34. Roberta says:

LOVELY…you had me at the cheese…no the fish…NO it was the WINE! lol…what a wonderful tablescape…it’s made up without being fussy so that the food and the people are the stars here. The ambience is wonderul and I’m going to try that fish…next time take some photos….please…pretty please…of the food…lol Have a great weekend, fondly, Roberta