A Beach Cottage Does Granola & Tatty Pink Tables

Thu 24th, Jun, 2010

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

201006-Granola-01

Yep, I did it, I am the queen of domestic.  I am a goddess.

I made granola.

…and moved in my ratty old pink table to the kitchen…to sit with a stool…

201006-Granola-02

Mixing things and making things like this are under-rated…you don’t have to be able to bake or balance a fine number of ingredients…you really can be as slap-dash as moi and end up with a home-baked jar of goodies that makes you look good baby.  And that my lovelies is what it is all about.

The idea for granola made at home is easy enough…if one can throw together a curry without too much trouble one can mix up a few all-too-easy ingredients to make breakfast or a late-night snack fit for a Beach Cottager.

Now, I have a confession to make here, I did not actually errrm do the mixing or the making of this delight, I did the foreman stuff…I supervised Miss Beach Cottage with the recipe left to me by Felicity the other day on the Frenchy Milk Bottle post and I interjected perhaps a couple of spoonfuls of Beach Cottage Twist…thinking that may well slip down quite nicely.

As ever, we didn’t stick to the recipe…there were for sure, quizzical looks from my lovely little girl when I said just chuck in a bit of that, and don’t worry about converting grams to cups…ending up in us having a very very sweet mixture with too much golden syrup.

here’s the recipe we sorta followed…

450g rolled oats  120g sunflower seeds  120g white sesame seeds  175g apple compote or apple sauce [we used bottle sauce]  2 tsp ground cinnamon  120g golden syrup [ we used much more!]   4 tbsp runny honey   100g light brown sugar   300g raw peanuts [we used a few tbsp of peanut butter]   1 tsp Maldon salt [we had run out of Maldon and gasp used table]   2 tbsp sunflower oil

Beach Cottage inspired directions:  Chuck everything into a large mixing bowl (a vintage one all the better). Use any old spoon so all is well dispersed. Spread the mixture out on two baking trays and bake 170C for about 45mins, turning halfway through so all is golden and not ahem erring on the side of burnt.   Allow to cool (I had to bash ours up a bit) Store in an airtight jar (an IKEA glass one always a winner)

201006-Granola-04

Though this is meant to be eaten I am presuming in the morning hours and as one who as a rule eats Morning Coffee’s for breakfast, to be honest I think a bowl of this could really be eaten at any time.

201006-Granola-03

You can partake in this I assume any way you wish…but of course if you have a vat of hand-crafted yoghurt (in, may I add, a Frency bottle ;-) )in the fridge it all adds up to the idea that this indeed is a meal of the heaven-made variety.

And with that I will leave you lovelies…I am working, at last, on the Family Bathroom Makeover, photos to come next week…oh and I have again been talking to tradies about doors, and skylights and windows and fences…

201006-Granola-01

p.s. I am assuming under no circumstances do you want me to tell you this is ahem not so good for the waistline?  My answer?  350′s.

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

28 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Does Granola & Tatty Pink Tables”

1. Holy geez, that granola sounds faboosh! I’ve never tried making homemade granola but you make it sound so easy! I might have to give it a try.

P.S. Sarah, you gotta stop showing that Frenchy milk jug! It’s making me too jealous! ;)

it is really really easy Kate…I am no baker or fiddler in the kitchen, this is my throw it together style all over!

2. DeAna says:

skylights and windows and fences–oh my!
    Granola and yogurt together yum!

3. kasey says:

I’m on my way….save a seat in your kitchen for me.
    or better yet…i’ll sit on that chair in the ocean.

4. Tricia Rose says:

You didn’t have to tell me about the waistline challenge posed by your yum granola Sarah – I just looked at it and knew…

Your vignette cheered my day though!

5. Debbie says:

yum…this all looks and sounds wonderful Sarah! Thanks for the easy recipe. Loving that jug of yours.
    Debbie@houseatthelake

6. Kathy says:

Sarah, yes again you are truely inspiring and your photos make me want to rush to ikea for the lovely jar and the grocery shop to get the ingredients. You always make me laugh when I read your posts with your comments. Now, your little heart ABC thingy, where did you find that little beauty. Beautiful pics too as always. Kathy

7. Tammi N says:

There goes that gorgeous milk bottle again…..I so want one!!

I could see myself sitting in the BC enjoying a bowl of said granola, yumm….and taking in all the delights that surround.

Really looking forward to the bathroom reveal :D

8. katie says:

So you decorate and make fattening granola. I officially can’t follow you anymore due to some serious onset of inferiority. Ok, so maybe not, but cool pictures of awesome fattening granola is super intimidating and so I am off to go rumage in my pantry due to a sudden onset of hunger.

9. Queen Mommy says:

Looks lovely. I store many of my bulk items in those glass jars from Ikea too!

10. You’re just teasing us with that pretty little pitcher, aren’t you, Sarah? lol! It is sooo sweet! And that granola recipe sounds easy enough for this non-baking-non-cooking domestic goddess. The first I thought after reading your recipe was, “Hey! I can do that!” Who would have ever thought that we’d all turn in to IKEA lurkers, too? :) The granola looks so very happy in that glass jar. Probably because it can eye the pretty little pitcher…… :)

Hugs ~ laurie@heavenswalk

11. Beth West says:

That is such a darling jar of granola. We make our granola approximately once a week in a large turkey roasting pan, almost full. It goes most days for breakfast around here and frequently pulls snack duty too. I love your still life, especially the lavender.

12. Hello Sarah,
    I love granola on my yogurt and fruit in the morning – but homemade does sound so much better. And served from a lovely container it is the best! You are always giving me good ideas, now where do I put it on my already crowded kitchen counters?!
    Regardless that sounds like a great recipe and one I’ll try with my youngest.
    Hope you’re having a great week.
    XO
    Heidi

13. kerrie says:

I lOve making granola…been making it for 22 yrs…my children have been raised on it and they lOve it too. So I dug out my Jenny Raymond (The Best Of Jenny’s Kitchen) to share her recipe with you…because it is easier and healthier…and it really is delicious! You can tweak it however you like…I am the Queen of tweaking! I am actually giving you my tweaked version of the recipe because well, we don’t care for the coconut or wheat germ it calls for. So here it is~
    Granola
    5 cups rolled oats
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup honey
    1 cup raisins (or we like to use dried blueberries or cranberries)
    1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever you like)

Combine oil and honey in saucepan on low heat until honey melts
    Mix all dry ingredients together
    pour oil and honey over dry ingred. then spread out over a cookie sheet
    Bake at 300 for 20 minutes or until golden brown
    Pour into bowl and let cool
    Add dried fruit after granola is cooled
    Store in airtight container.
    makes 1 gallon

I hope you will try it…it’s really really easy and yummy!

14. Dream Mom says:

Love granola! I use Alton Brown’s recipe from the Food Network and it’s to die for…the smell is amazing. I typically make it in the fall, on those cool, crisp days. It has some dried fruit in there too; I typically use organic dried apricots. The smell of those toasted nuts and seeds is really something. I love making things from scratch. They taste soooo much better! Pretty photos.

15. Glenda says:

I just had a flashback to part of my childhood, when you mentioned “golden syrup.” I haven’t thought about “Lyle’s Golden Syrup” (at least that is the name I remember) in many many years. I spent several years in a boarding school in Malaysia and we used to have Lyle’s on ice cream. Americans don’t even know what “golden syrup” is. Thanks for the memory, Sarah.

16. Alison Gibbs says:

This I gotta try!!
    Usually toss a mix of whatever cereals we have on hand together anyway.
    Loving that jar you have your granola stored in
    keep those tradies coming in… we want some cute tradie pics too!! If they are anything as cute as my tradie sons, plumber and landscaper then hey I wanna see!!LOl :-)
    Alison

17. Yum yum! I’m starving now. I love everything that is white. Those photos reminds me of our old house – cozy and comfy! I love it.

18. Felicity says:

Glad you took the leap..move over Nigella here’s our BC Granola queen.
    The images look great and now I know where to get a snazzy container for ours.
    You MUST try it on excellent vanilla ice-cream….delish!

x Felicity

19. donna says:

Yummmoooo,looks so good. I know most like it for breakfast but I’m all about the late night snack! Ok I’m going to try this ,this weekend!<3

20. flick says:

Hey Sezzo! (better? hehe ) Is there really such a thing as too sweet and too much golden syrup? I think NOT. It certainly sounds delish, and I am a little peckish…. hmmm.
    Sounds like you are very busy with those renno projects over at the bc, look forward to seeing what you do to the bathroom, and I love a bit of fence talk.. pickets?
    :) Flick

21. Bec says:

Great post Sarah. Sounds just as yum as the yoghurt. Breakfast aside, can you please stop posting pics of that milk bottle. I am becoming obsessed with it and can’t find them anywhere online!

22. Ms. Pearl says:

I want that bottle even more now. ; )

23. Granola, wow! You blow my mind, it looks tasty enough to eat, but it also looks beautiful in the jar. What to do? :)

24. sealaura says:

Hi Sarah,

I love this post and since I am a subscriber I had not seen the new layout of your blog, it is so beautful, sorry if this comes way late! Anyway, making your own granola is fun and you make it look so beautiful here in this tablescape. I like to make my own oatmeal mix with dried fruits, coconut shavings and some good old fashioned quaker oats.

Actually I am about to enjoy a bowl right now!

25. Molly says:

I like the pink table! nice!

26. WHAT’S tatty???
    I think that it’s all lovely!
    The granola sounds delicious,
    looks delicious,
    so must BE delicious!
    And the way you have it displayed, here….
    Well, that makes it even more enticing,
    Can’t wait to try it!
    xx Suzanne

27. Odile Moreau says:

Bonjour Sarah ! I’m from Paris (France) and I love your blog. I come to see you very often. I have also a beach cottage near Bordeaux and the decorating is very close from yours ! I recently sew the same cushons than yours in taupe and white linen ! I’hve just see on tv a reportage about the beach culture in Australia especialy at Manly Beach, where Creg ? is a surf teacher after has been a surf champion.
    we saw also the magnificients lifeguards at Tamarama beach an Bondi ! I think if I lived there I would like to be rescue by them !!!!

Summer is at least coming in France and it’s time to think about vaccations in my lovely house. I’ll come to look about you also during this time.
    See you , have a good day Odile