A Beach Cottage… Hanging out on Australian Beaches

Wed 26th, May, 2010

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

201005-Hanging-Beaches-01

G’day my lovelies, hmm from my Facebook friends I am hearing that for once some of you might be having better weather and better temps than us poor fellows that have been suffering here Down Under for at least, oh 5 days, with rain and grey.  Yeah, not loving that at all.

So with that in mind and while I am thinking of sun and blue skies, I thought I would show you some of the stranger goings on of Australian life.

OK, so I am used to strange Australian sporting competitions taking part on the beach, I am used to socializing down the beach in my swimmers, just, and I have just about gotten over men walking past about every which way in some form of budgies or tight-fitting garments.  Gulp.

201005-Hanging-Beaches-02

I have even taken on the chin seeing my lovely husband, the infamous Mr Beach Cottage sitting next to me driving the car in little other than a very skimpy pair of budgies, and chatting away in his semi-nakedness as if everything was completely normal and me taking a second glance and wondering just where this strange land is we have landed in?

But blow me down with a feather I did not in any shape of form expect to see these three run past while sitting on the beach, soaking up some sunny but cool weather the other weekend.

Um, yeah, the Aussie male.

Not really much more I can say other than before long they were gone and in the blink of an eye I wondered if indeed I had at last been admitted to the lunatic asylum.

Wanna come sit on the beach and spy budgie wearers with me ;-)

See ya next time kiddos…I have a guest coming to the Beach Cottage

p.s Miss Dahl winner announced soon, no I haven’t forgotten

** edited to add:  I found the link on YouTube about these guys

The Impossibles

you can donate to their cause here

and you can read more about their story here

201005-Hanging-Beaches-03

blogged for Outdoor Wednesday

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

35 Responses to “A Beach Cottage… Hanging out on Australian Beaches”

1. Kimberly Knoess says:

Cute speedos, but not so sure they are meant to be worn with boots – even if they match!

2. Janelle says:

In gum boots??? Gosh I haven’t seen that before and I’ve spent a lot of time on our lovely aussie beaches. Perhaps I need to come spend some time at your local beach, might be an education, lol!

3. Tammi says:

Loving the speedo and gumboot combo…very amusing to see.

Our first venture to a beach here in Perth saw us take our kiddies to a nudist beach. There were no signs that we could see about and since we were the first ones there that morning we were none the wiser.
    Imagine the shock horror on our dear ones faces when a group of adults showed up and stripped off starkers…..it was priceless. Needless to say we packed up quick smart and have not returned.

Can’t say that I am enjoying this drop in temperature too much….give me sunshine and heat anyday!!

4. Carla says:

Errrr……..strange………I live in western australia…….we are all normal here!!!! Hahahahahah!!! Love the tassles on the budgies!! You see its all in the details! Lol

xx

5. Leah says:

Sarah you can watch what its about on YouTube. They’re raising money for breast cancer and their story is great =)

Leah

6. Tricia Rose says:

Oh Sarah I am in the wrong country – how I miss the budgie-smugglers! Men here wear wet, baggy long shorts while swimming – how comfortable can that be? Prurient! (but then for years I would holiday in France where one can wear what one likes, and my comprehensive tan approved).

The gum boots though? Matching? That’s a bit odd…

7. sue austin says:

What fun! Where on you tube can this be viewed?

8. Kerry says:

I reckon they’d heard all about your wonderful blog, knew you’d be on the beach and staged it for our benefit…cause surely there could be no other feasible reason!! Love it. Where else could you get gumboot wearing, budgie smuggling blokes..

9. Anita says:

Oh yes, I see the little pink tag hanging down now! Raising money for breast cancer but I’m not getting the boots. Perhaps they are firemen? Oh and budgies? I’m guessing they are the same as speedos? Is that an Aussie or an English word ;) Certainly are the fit trio aren’t they!

10. LaVoice says:

Enjoyed your feature today on the beach boys. Your pictures pretty well told their own story.

11. Joyce says:

Speedos and boots for a good cause! I have to say that your photos made me SMILE!
    Joyce

12. Hi Sarah,
    The surfer dudes around here would die laughing at those guys. Love the boots, and the speedos are too much!! And there are some serious tan lines happening on those guys!
    Thanks for giving me a laugh.
    XO
    Heidi – Heart and Home

13. Sarah,

The boots are cracking me up!!!

Hahaha,
    Laura

14. Pearl Maple says:

Oh too funny, now you will have to add some more photos of the politicians getting about in their budgie smugglers as well.

15. LouBoo says:

Hi – those speedos just caught my eye in the blog roll this morning! Not sure why ;-) Love how your describe your husband feeling ever so slightly bemused by the Aussie nakedness! Well except for those speedos of course…. L x

16. Rachael says:

unusual, different….. we are further down under than you and am sure we don’t have such strange beach costumes – lol – Rachaelxo

17. i think yu are fully *aclimatised* {is that how one spells it?} to the aussie beach way of life….it takes alot of casual nerve to stand in either a. your cossie socialising on the beach or b.with your husband in his cossie socialising in his! yep – you are formally *entrenched* sarah- theres no going back now! loved this mornings read- ahhhh home…odd as it is….big thankyous!
    melissa :)

18. cheryl says:

great story..love the outfits! sure gets everyones attention.
    we aussies grew up in our cossies you know :)
    great to see men supporting a women’s issue.
    oh and i like the one in the middle!

19. Eileen says:

They are an amusing sight to see, thanks for sharing.

20. bonnie says:

Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh! I love the word budgie ~ much more colorful than Speedo. Hope they raise a lot of money.

21. donna says:

What great guys! I love their boots, really would like them for myself! However they do it (raise money and attention) is ok with me. The speedos….I don’t know how you keep a straight face Sarah.It takes a real man to wear those…. I think? Great link…<3

22. Oh my goodness…hahahaha! Hilarious! Never, in my life, have I seen anything like this. Welcome to Australia, I suppose! :)

23. Jeannie says:

The pink boots with the speedos, that’s something I’ve never seen before. No wonder you wanted to live there if the men go around dressed like this….it’s a party every time you step outside your door! Is that why you call it The Lucky Country?

24. Mrs. Pearl says:

It takes a real man to wear a speedo, pink boots and pink heart sunglasses. How cool that they’re doing this for breast cancer! The trek across the desert sounds absolutely grueling.
    Thanks for sharing!

25. Budgie smuggler. Ha hee. Love the term. I think every single person will quickly forgive the fashion faux pas of pink galoshes, heart framed sunglasses, and red banana hammocks.

Keep running gentlemen and God bless!

26. Krista says:

That is hilarious! :-) Oh lordy. :-) I’ll be moving to Australia next year to marry my man and I sent this link to him querying if this is what I should be expecting. ;-) Thanks for a splendid laugh. :-)

27. Vicki K says:

I love how they have carefully covered the backs of their necks…

28. I laughed and laughed. Loved the boots. Then I found out why. Great guys all of them.

29. Laurie says:

Great read, great pics, great big laugh….and of course, a great cause. Thanks, Sarah! :)

30. desiree says:

OMG No offence but what a strange people …. I have to admit I have some red boors aswel after a day at the beach,, auch sunburn ;P

31. Amanda says:

Ok……can I say I never seen anyone running down the beach in speedo’s and gumboots before – and to top it off – red gumboots that match their speedo’s!!! Too funny!!!

32. Hi Sarah,

Where are you? I will take the next Jet star plane from Auckland. These hunks, no love handles, no beer bellies. Where do they come from? Beat watching the Wallabies anytime. LOL

33. Alison Gibbs says:

Sarah I so hate seeing the budgie smugglers at the beach. It makes my eyes ache!!LOL
    On our local beach it is mainly the Lifesaving Club guys that wear them. Most guys on our beach wear boardies.
    Alison

34. I have no words. Other than, you live in an amazing place, so many interesting sites to behold, never a dull moment for you I’m sure!

35. Tanya says:

The color coordination is the best part!