A Beach Cottage Pear Love, Q & A + The Notebook Blog!

Thu 25th, Mar, 2010

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

201003-Pears-01

It was a funny old day yesterday – getting up at 3am and talking to people on the other side of the world while they are pleasantly enjoying their mid-afternoon often does that to you…perhaps that’s why too that today I find myself taking pictures and rambling on about the joys of a bucket of pears.

After the school drop-off I stopped off at the flower market, my once a week foray into all things flowers, not a huge selection, but just enough to let me play.

To get to the flowers I have to walk past fruit, piles of all manner of lovelies, and delicious veggies that in England one could perhaps only dream of having in such abundance and selection.

Just at the flowers there were buckets of pears…lots of buckets of pears.  Now don’t ask me why there were shed loads of the things desperately trying to rid themselves of the plastic buckets and get themselves to the checkout PDQ, but there were.

And they caught my eye.  The uniform perfection served up by Mother Nature herself woo-ed me, smooth firm skin unmarked by age or time or life…a bit like me really.  Guffaw.

201003-Pears-02

So rather than flowers yesterday to cheer me up I came home with a bucket of pears…and what a way to brighten up for a couple of dollars…a pear shelfscape?  (And hop over to Susan’s place for tablescapes today…)

The fact that we now have a slew of these little green beauties around and there might be only perhaps two of us who actually eat them is beside the point.

And before long I am sure I will be looking for something to ‘do’ with them rather than placing them in a still life on a shelf ;-)  But isn’t that the delight of leftover anything?  That aimless wondering of what to make before that dreadful feeling wherupon they’ve suddenly moved past the danger zone and have no better place than the compost heap.

If you have any pear ideas let me know, remember my limited baking skills…I can just about mix a muffin.

201003-Pears-03

And now guys lets swiftly move on to some more Q & A from the ahem 130 questions from last week…

From what I’ve read, it sounds like you didn’t have any family there when you moved there. So, now that you’ve been there awhile, do you have close friends that you spend Christmas (or other holidays) with or do you go home to England to see your family at Christmas time?

We are making friends but Christmas is a time obviously when people go to their own families.   No we knew not a single soul here but the last few Christmas holidays we have spent them with family enjoying Sydney’s weather from England.

SO my question for you is, where do you find most of your furniture treasures? I now you thrift and find stuff in junk heaps like the windows, is that where most of it comes from? loves!

I’m always on the lookout…I like thrift shops, antique shops, estate sales, deceased estates, garage sales…I weave it into my everyday life and I keep an eye open on Ebay though that’s not my fave way to shop…

Is there anything you don’t like about the Aussie life?

I don’t like Sydney drivers.  They drive cars as if it were a sport.  I have driven in London and on a lot busier roads than this but here it is all for yourself and super-aggressive driving or you are in trouble!

’What are you reading at the moment?’ and ‘what are you listening too?’

This is tricky, I have at least four or so books on the go at any one time and rotate them at night…I usually start with a cooking one and then move on…at the moment I am reading

Nigel Slater ~ Appetite

Andre Aggassi ~ OPEN

Neil Barber ~ The Day The Devils Flew In

Oscar Wilde ~ The Picture of Dorian Gray

Jamie Oliver ~ Jamie’s America

interspersed of course with copious amounts of Home Decor books…

I only really listen while I’m exercising….and I like run-o-the-mill stuff….on my walking/350  ipod at the mo’ are

Kings of Leon, Dolly Parton, Leona Lewis, Queen, Robbie Williams, Taylor Swift, James Blunt

201003-Pears-04

And with that I will leave you lovelies, I have this very strange yearn to go shopping :-) – there is a very nice Frenchy shop not far from here and I am feeling its call

…I thought I might find something delicious in there for my old sofa and for a little blogathon partay I am having soon…to celebrate nothing other than the fact that I am still logging in here to talk to you guys and have done it over four hundred times… a little narcissistic I know but if you knew my staying power, well you’d be calling this a miracle and you’d see me on the News at Ten.

oh and talking of narcissism the editor at Notebook Magazine featured my ladder wall art, you can find it here

See ya around…

p.s. aren’t those beachy shell sphere’s rocking with the pears?…love

201003-Pears-05

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

0 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Pear Love, Q & A + The Notebook Blog!”

1. sue austin says:

I love the look of pears, the taste, not so much. I can eat them if they are “just right”, not too hard, not too ripe. How many did you get for $2.00?

2. Debbie says:

where in the world do you get those shell spheres?? The pears look lovely with the white background and the shells.

3. Denise says:

I wanted to ask the same question Debbie asked. Where do you get the shell spheres???

4. Jennifer says:

The pears look great. Here is a great recipe that we just love. Perfect for non-bakers as well. You peel and slice the pears, throw them in a pie plate, blend all the other ingredients in the blender, pour it over and throw it in the oven. It’s delicious.

5. Alicia says:

oooh yes they are sooo rockin’! Works a treat with the shell spheres, they are like your little signature pieces throughout your blog. Heck if they didnt appear I would think I was visiting the wrong Sarah lol. Love the spheres! (oh and the pears too but they wont last as long;0)
    alicia
    ps. cant help you with any cooking advice as I am cooking disabled sorry. Could ask my clever hubby though!

6. GRACE GARLAND says:

love the pears for a different kind of “springy” feel.

7. Carrie says:

We had pear trees at our last house. No one ate pears, but for some reason our dogs loved them, they wouldn’t eat there dog food when it was pear season and they learned to jump up to try and get them out of the trees, very strange. Anyway, a friend would come and get them and made pear honey as gifts. I’m sure you could find a recipe on the web.
    Blessings

8. Kat says:

I love the pears and how they contrast with your beautiful white shell spheres! And congrats on being featured at Notebook Magazine! The pears aren’t the only things that rock, you do too!

Kat :)

9. Angie says:

Fav book at the moment is ‘Plenty’ digressions on food by Gay Bilson.

10. Gorgeous color, gorgeous styling – love the mix of fresh pear with the shell spheres. LOVE.

11. Hi there Sarah,
    The pears look so pretty with all that white. That brilliant green is one of my favorite colors for sure.
    I have several simple and delicious recipes for pear cakes that you might like. They are posted on my site, come see if you want. I have a recipe page so they’re easy to find. And I mean it when I say they are delicious!! The upside down cake is especially yummy and easy…
    Congrats on 400 posts, wow! That’s dedication. And we all love you for it!
    XO
    Heidi – Heart and Home
    PS I’m still hobbling through this, sharing the laptop with my 13 yr old because of computer troubles. I hope yours have ended by now!

12. just found your interesting blog!
    I too have moved far from home (not as far as you) only 3,000 miles but far for me. I have my own blog on my new life. Wading in the Sea come visit sometime!
    Pamela

13. Roxanne says:

Sarah, you are very entertaining and make me smile! Thanks for brightening up my day. Good luck with all those pears.

14. Elizabeth says:

Sarah, I adore the ‘pear’ look….you are one very talented lady – I ? green and white together….
    Maybe pears poached in red wine would be a good choice for when they have done their job of sitting and looking beautiful….

15. I love your sweet little home. I think that you did an amazing job creating such a beautiful beach cottage. You have a lovely story Sarah.

16. Tina says:

Loving the shape and colour of the pears against all that white – gorgeous!! I adore those white shell spheres!! Hope you are having a fab week Sarah ~ Tina x

17. Judy says:

The pears look great with the white! I used to have a green pear too, but he was made in a factory. One of those lopsided shelf sitters so we lovingly referred to him as Percy the p*ssed pear! What can i say, he went with the last kitchen, black white and lime green, so delicious! or not………..if you are into beachy white! he he!
    Cheers
    Judy

18. Gail says:

The green pears are a great contrast with the white. Love the look. Thanks for sharing.

19. Hi Sarah

What is it with Pears this week?

I’ve read on several blogs about pears, I’d already started a “Pear” painting at the start of the week, although mine are sort of putty coloured, how strange to think so many people all over the world are thinking “Pear”

I do so love the way you’ve displayed your Pear’s Sarah

Of course I enjoyed your Q & A’s

Gail ~ xo

20. *Alex* says:

Mmmm! Pears-delicious and lovely with all the white!You should peel a few, slice them, and toss them in a salad with creamy goat cheese, a lovely vinaigrette, and some pecans or walnuts. Tasty! :)

21. Evergirl says:

Looks great!

I was just about to suggest the same recipe as *Alex*, although I prefer blue cheese, pears, fresh spinach and vinaigrette or honey and some nuts.

Delicious and can almost not even be considered cooking. :)

22. Julie-Ann says:

Hi Sarah
    I saw the most stunning perfect golden yellow pears in the supermarket this week. They are not like the normal gold coloured ones and they were so perfect that I stopped in my tracks to admire them:) But like you I am the only one in the family who would eat them so I walked past them instead.
    I used to decorate with green apples a lot and every weekend my son & I would make an apple dessert.
    Your pear arrangement looks stunning. Have fun baking:)
    And thanks to the link to Between Naps on the Porch – we have been chatting about tablescapes on the Decorating Forum. One of your favourite subjects I know:)

23. Sandi says:

Pretty spring post today! Pears are great when they are soaked in white zin with a bit of sugar!

24. zaira says:

Well Sarah, very creative of you, I had never thought about displaying pears on a shelf!! Amazing girl!!

I could suggest to bake a pear and chocolate cake, a classic but I think it’s a bliss of taste!!! I can find recipe for you if you like….

Hugs, Zaira

25. Alison Gibbs says:

Sarah those pears just ‘pop’
    Love them
    Alison

26. Nan says:

When you are ready to start eating your beauties dip them in vanilla yogurt… Yummy!

27. Tricia says:

I love to decorate with pears, too. That perfect shade of green — and sometimes yellow — just looks so elegant to me. My husband thinks I’m odd to buy fruits and veggies for decorative purposes, but I love that look!

28. annie says:

The balls are rockin’
    The pears are rockin’
    You’re STILL rockin’
    Have fun shopping!
    annie

29. Vicki Archer says:

I know what you mean about Sydney drivers….we are a little ‘cheeky’ on the roads! When I first came to London I could not believe the consideration and kindness of the drivers – especially the bus drivers and the cabbies. Not quite the same in France – the French are more like the Sydneyites.
    Lovely pears…I like them cut very finely (vegetable peeler finely) and mixed into a rocket, parmesan and walnut salad. xv

30. Victoria says:

I am loving the green with all the white! My favorite way to do pears is baked. Here is a recipe that is a snap. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/riesling_baked_pears.html I leave out the bay leaf and it is simple and beautiful.

31. Nickki says:

Hey Sarah,

Pears are great with gingersnaps and some even like to add bleu cheese with that. They are fabulous sauteed with a little butter and brown sugar. Put them in crepes or over pancakes or ice cream. Yum. Love the look of the green pears against all that white. Looks so Spring-y!

32. Poached pears, Sarah. I only made them once, but they were delightful. I should make them again. I suppose a recipe could be found online. White Wine is one of the ingredients.

I’m going to be looking for some beautiful bright green pears.

I have another of those “walk down memory lane” posts, at the Back Porch, if you would like to see it.

33. In all honesty I’ve never liked pears, not the taste, not the look. Nothing personal just didn’t float my boat. Until now, seeing them posed in such elegant simplicity has made me a believer.
    BTW, I am completely smitten with the ladder wall~so nicely done.
    So I’m off to fetch some pears & a couple of ladders!

34. bj says:

I love the color of the pears…I am thinking of using touches of that color (apple green..or pear green, whatever the case may be!) in my living room, replacing reds, just for the summer months.hmmm…I do love that color…

35. Kirsty says:

I couldn’t leave fruit of any kind displayed so prettily in our house.. it would just get snaffled quick as flash! How about a cheeky sculpture involving 2 pears and a banana?!
    Seriously though, love the look – ‘pared-down simplicity’!

36. le says:

so here is the deal with your pears … take off the skin, cut into thin-ish slices. Melt some butter – you know like a tablespoon – in the microwave. Get a cake tin and take the melted butter and whizz around the tin. Place the pear slices in the bottom. drizzle golden syrup or honey over the pears – more if you are a sweeties, less if not so, lots is good …

take that muffin mix – make it plain – or drop some choc bits in – and plop it over the pears – bake in a say 170c degree oven for 40 – 50 mins … leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins then flip it out … upsidedown pear cake – delish ! best le

37. Julie says:

I fell in love with the shell “balls” here on Sarah’s blog so I went “ahuntin’”. Found some on Etsy! Here’s a link if you’re interested: http://www.etsy.com/shop/magartsypartycrafts?section_id=6205229

She had both the 3″ and 5″ balls and shipped them to me very quickly.