simple

Thu 19th, Nov, 2009

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

IMG_3598

Howdy partners, how’s it going out there?

Well it’s warm here and sunny, life is ticking along, as it does.

Just another tablescaping post here at the Beach Cottage….I wonder if you are bored yet, of these?  I certainly am not.  I love tablescaping, I know some may find this a strange sport, but I am a happy participant, and the ones with a challenge, such as an under $10 budget, seem to be the most rewarding.

IMG_3574

To be honest, if someone could wave a magic wand and I could be dressing wedding tables or functions all day and getting paid for it, I’d be quite a happy girl.  I’ve looked into it properly and as with many things, an opening for a mum with no formal qualifications in the field are nothing if not non-existent.

I don’t suppose there happens to be a Event Styling ‘person’ reading this blog who’d like me to come on board?  No I didn’t think so.  So I’m tinkering with doing it for myself, nothing like jumping in at the deep end is there?  And as ever on here, let me know your views, comments always throw up things I hadn’t thought of or even considered.  Would I really be any good?  Could I do it?  Do I have the talent and the transferable skills.  It’s all very well doing one table in my own home.  Where would I start?  Those around me who read here and have had the wonderful-fortune to sit at one of these tables ;-) and Mr BC reckon I could.  I dunno…

Anyway, enough of that.  For this one I wanted to use the tiny shells I picked up on that cold beach walk the other day, some white flowers, my new wire-grey lanterns and little jam jars.

IMG_3586

IMG_3589

IMG_3578

I picked up the cheapest flowers I could find, a budget bunch of gerberas and went from there.  Stuck the gerberas in an old Mason jar, sprinkled the shells, added some tealights and picked some foliage from the orange tree in the garden.

IMG_3594

I loved how this one turned out…white…vintage napkins and a hint of fresh…suits summer just round the corner for us Down Under and cost next to nothing, a $6 bunch of flowers and a few thrifted napkins…and the most beautiful tiny little shells…

See you tomorrow

200911-Simple-01

find more tablescape love here, a grey linen one here, and an all white coffee table one here

BLOGGED FOR TABLESCAPE THURSDAY, THANKS TO SUSAN

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

31 Responses to “simple”

1. cindy says:

You could definitely be a stylist Sarah! Your understated casual elegance is so perfect for events these days….I did my own daughter’s wedding back in June and got such satisfaction from it. I love this tablescape (as I do all of yours) because it allows your eye to wander peacefully from item to item without being overwhelmed. Calm. Bliss. :)

2. Morning T says:

Gorgeous Sarah, the green stems really stand out with all of your white. I will never tire of seeing your fabulous tablescapes so please keep it up!

3. Bev says:

For those who enjoy the simple pleasures of a natural tablescape you are right up there with the best

4. Rachel says:

Oh…lovely and perfect as usual. ;) You MOST DEFINITELY could and SHOULD be a “tablescaper”…LOL…I just gave your new profession a name! LOL!!! :) Anyhoo, give it a whirl friend…you will be fabulous at it! :)

Smiles,
    Rachel

5. There is something about this tablescape that just makes me smile – happy deep down.
    You would do lovely work (as a paid scaper) – I’d hire you.

6. Jennifer says:

Everything you do looks so beautiful, I really enjoy seeing what you come up with.

7. mary jo says:

This table looks so peaceful and calm, I would love to have a dinner sitting around this one. If you are able to put together such a pretty cost effective table, no doubt there are many brides-to-be that could use your expertise!

8. Marcia says:

I think you’re already an event stylist, now you just need to find a way to get paid for it. This looks beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

9. Pomona says:

I did read your comment on my blog, and I’m glad that you enjoyed it! Event organizers are definitely the people for you to cultivate – I have a friend who is one (unfortunately as you know it’s all a bit far away for your purposes), but this is part of what they do. But there are also people out there organizing their own events, usually on a budget, and picking and choosing which services they buy in. What about advertising in wedding magazines/taking a stand at a wedding fair/getting an article in wedding/Country Living type magazines? You could always try sending a release to such people with photos and interesting free gift to grab their attention. Just set yourself up with a website and get yourself listed on Google business with the right sort of search terms and that can bring in business (we did this for our B&B – my son did the website and photos and we printed the cards on our printer at home). Make little postcards with vignettes of your tablescapes and contact details and leave them wherever you go. Also local florists, wedding dress shops, mother of the bride type frock shops – give them cards, make friends with them – they might then refer you in response to enquiries.

You certainly have a talent – the key is to market yourself and get yourself known!

Pomona x

10. Alison Gibbs says:

Gorgeous table and of course it is the perfect job for you.
    Alison

11. Ruby says:

sarah – i can’t believe you are questioning your talent! when i first discovered your blog i thought what a lovely book this would make. you’ve already laid it out – for example the title of the book, the beach cottage story, beachy tips, before & after, tablescapes etc. etc. last week in one of your blogs there was a mention of “notecards”. of course you have the talent to be a table stylist & an author & a designer & a photographer. there are so many people that you have inspired & you have showed us how to achieve a beautiful home with little money. i have reserved a slot on my bookshelf for your first book next to alanta bartlett & rachel ashwell. to answer you question – i never get bored of your tablescapes & i love the simplicity. ruby

12. Floss says:

Listen to Pomona, Sarah – she knows, you know…

If your area needs Event Stylers, then I am certain you could do it. In fact, you could probably convince them that they need you even if they never knew it before…

I am drinking a cup of English (Fair Trade) tea and thinking of you. Back to your previous incredulity, I think the problem is that I was a child who adored drinking milk. And a teenager too, actually… So when people offered me nice milky cups of tea or coffee, suitable for younger drinkers, I just tasted adulterated milk. Recently I’ve realised that I love both tea and coffee black, no sugar.

13. Jackie says:

Sarah you would be brilliant at it, anyone just has to read your blog. Everything you do it elegant and beautiful

14. Lynn says:

Wow, I love the table decoration and your cottage is just stunning. I would absolutely adore a white home, but with 2 long haired cats and a 20 month old I think i would drive myself nuts trying to keep it tidy. Love your blog!

15. Kathy says:

I’ve discovered that when I can relax and create for my own pleasure that it’s..well,pleasurable but when dead lines and input from paying customers figures in the picture it stops being fun and the creativity is squashed. Just something to consider. p.s. I’d hire you!

16. bj says:

I am with Kathy…the pleasure would go out of it with all the dead lines. I love doing tables, too, but only for myself and family. Any time the word JOB is attached, I don’t wanna do it !!
    Your white table looks very nice..as always..
    hugs, bj

17. Sarah, There is so much strength in your style. You know exactly how to please the eye without going overboard. One of the reasons I regularly come to your blog is to give me eye a rest and breathe in the freshness and serenity. While most of us have a way of going over board, I admire your ability to stay within your parameters of style. If you had a shop here in New Jersey, I would be a loyal customer.
    ?, Susan

18. Shar Yates says:

You should do it and a way to advertise yourself would be to take one of your fab photos and make it into a post card. Include the details,send it out in mass and see what kind of response you get.

Go for it, girl!

19. Tanya says:

Sarah, you could definitely be a stylist. My college degree is in nursing. However, I had a successful gift basket and florist shop. I had no formal training but it seemed that my designs had a following! That’s all that really matters, isn’t it? If you’ve never had a business of your own, it helps to learn a few basics. But most of it you’ll learn along the way. There’s no better teacher than experience. Just go for it! Keep us posted and we’ll cheer you on.

20. miss britt says:

So fresh and pretty!

21. Gorgeous table! So peaceful and relaxing.

Ruthie

22. Brenda Kula says:

I love the green peeking through, Sarah!
    Brenda

23. Vale says:

Simple but very sophisticated! You made a gorgeous table!
    Vale

24. beth says:

I just love your tablescapes! And you could most definitely be a stylist! I would pay you to help decorate my home! :) Have a great day! Beth.

25. Marigene says:

Wish I could do white as well as you…stunning table, Sarah.

26. Sarah…Your tables are lovely.
    So fresh…& simple…yet only you could make them look the way that they do.
    You have that magic little touch!
    XXOOXX

27. Tricia says:

Hi.
    I just posted an award for you over at my blog. It is ready for you to pick up anytime if you would like. Love your blog. ;)

XO*Tricia

28. Martha says:

I would think that there would be a great marked for your elegant, yet very simple style — It’s very classic and beautiful — perfect!

29. There is truly such beauty in simplicity. Thanks for the pics to show just how true that is. So, so beautiful!! :)

~ Wendy

30. Kat says:

I second the “truly such beauty in simplicity” comment from Wendy above.
    I think this may be your calling to “style” things.
    You are a natural!!
    I love this table. :)

31. [...] interiors and easy coastal vintage styling that says, welcome friends. This pic is from one of my favorite blogs and I love that Sarah and her family relocated from England to Australia. Her blog is all about [...]