Beach Cottage Glory Box all Dressed Up

Mon 2nd, Nov, 2009

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

200911-Glory-Box-Dressed-Up-01

G’day lovelies!  It’s gorgeous weather here, sadly I am a little sunburnt from yesterday.  I spent much of the day on the beach for one reason or another and now have patches of sunburn to show for it…

Anyhoo, here’s the Glory Box in the Study (if you want to see the Work In Progress post, go here).

She turned out quite nicely, don’t you think?  Though, actually, I had a vague idea about painting black first and then the white and rubbing back so the black showed through (saw this on a blog somewhere) – there were two reasons I didn’t do this, firstly I had no black paint and couldn’t be bothered to shop for it and secondly I thought that it might mean more than two layers of white if I did that, and I couldn’t be bothered with that either.

So I just did my regular treatment, too easy, a coat of primer plus one of Dulux Whisper White or White on White (which this one is) and has a very slight warm tint to it…

200911-Glory-Box-Dressed-Up-02

As you know we found her at a garage sale, on a day when we just scooted out for a very quick look with a coffee and came home with lots of lovely finds including her for just 10 dollars and a pie crust mirror which is now hung in the WC (yes I’m still procrastinating over that sink skirt that I threw on the floor in disgust).

200911-Glory-Box-Dressed-Up-03

This is the most basic of makeovers, but in my book, no less lovely for it.

I want to emphasize that to makeover an old piece of furniture, such as this, you don’t have to be a master DIY-er or anything so fancy, all you need is a paintbrush, some paint and limited skills.  I think it really is a good idea to take the time with a good quality primer (there’s a video on how I do it here), and if you buy a decent one (I use Zinsser), it’s hardly an arduous job to slap on a quick coat…

200911-Glory-Box-Dressed-Up-04

Oh and there’s a new episode of { Beach Cottage TV }, click here, if you fancy seeing us find this old lady…

See ya

200911-Glory-Box-Dressed-Up-05

p.s. found some rocking vintage doors at the weekend…stay tuned!

blogged for the 42nd Met Monday, thanks Susan

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

33 Responses to “Beach Cottage Glory Box all Dressed Up”

1. Jennifer says:

It’s beautiful, you did such a lovely job refinishing it.

2. cindy says:

I feel like a total dork, but why is it called a glory box? It’s a dresser, right? I must be missing something….regardless, it looks beautiful, and I so agree that repainting a piece is not hard…just takes a little time and patience. :o)

3. it’s what’s called in Australia and the UK a ‘glory box’ – what single girls would fill with linens and home goods before they got married, I believe a Hope Chest in the USA?

…and it’s a glory box to me cos I bought if from the 86yr old lady whose ‘box’ it was, blogged here

sarah
    x

4. You know, Sarah, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more perfect paint job… she looks as tho she’s aged naturally :-)

Pleasant day,
    ~Julia

5. Carla says:

As usual Sarah I love love love it!!!! And I really love the way you stay true to the piece and keep its story alive. Love that big glass ball in the string net thingy (is it a bouy?) where did you find it?

carla xx

6. She looks lovely, Sarah! Hope you find a sink skirt solution soon (I know you’re getting frustrated with it, huh?)

7. Sarah Ann says:

Oh I LOVE your glass bouy! My Granddad has one of those and a I just LOVE them.

8. Terry says:

Well, now we know. It looks like a sturdy, hardworking piece.

9. Love your furniture piece as well as the glass ball–there is a shop down the road that carries different items like that.

Cheri

10. Mary says:

Well glory be the ‘glory box’!! She looks adorable – perhaps she’ll be filled again some day with marriage linens etc. by a sweet young thing. You do have a daughter, don’t you!!!? Wouldn’t that be fun.

Great paint job Sarah. I’ve completed the paint job on my French chair today – can’t wait to get it back to the upholsterer for finishing.

11. Amanda says:

It’s come up so beautifully! I adore those white handles.

12. Alison Gibbs says:

Sarah it is just fabulous. Love the ‘less is more’ vignette on the top. Won’t be long and someone from BC will be putting things on top as they walk past
    Alison

13. Love the way the box turned out! I am going to read up on your primer and see if I can’t get my new sewing table I picked up over the weekend redone!

14. Ruby says:

the glory box is glorious! i also use zinsser primer & have always been pleased with the results. great job! ruby

15. Sarah your glory box is so beautiful now. I love your technique with the white paint and touches of warmth you add with these pieces through out your beach house. I could move right in. Thanks for the encouragement you give us your readers, as I have a similiar project waiting for a redo and need to tackle it too.

16. beth says:

That turned out perfect!! And I love the accessories on top. Another job well done. :) Have a great day!! Beth.

17. chandelier says:

I love your dresser

18. Jane F says:

Your dresser looks perfect — like it’s always been that color. But, oh, the weather there! It’s getting cold and gray where we are and a warm dip in the ocean would be the perfect pick me up this afternoon.

Thanks for stopping by to see us.

19. Beautiful makeover Sarah!! I like how you used the white rather than the white over black.

20. Rachel says:

She looks lovely Sarah! :) Love the simple vignette on top to! Happy week to you!

Smiles,
    Rachel

21. the dresser turned out so beautiful. Simple & lovely. Love it!

Shellagh

22. Shelia says:

Oh, Sarah it’s just lovely! Chalk another project up for fabulousness! You’re the greatest! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

23. PaintLover says:

WOW indeed! I eye our dresser, imagining it all white. But I am too chicken to give it a go! Where would I even start?

Last week I paint an old jewellery box and it took forever. The little drawers really got on my nerves. What would I even do with the massive drawers of a dresser?

I would love to see a step-by-step (I’m asking a lot I know, especially being a commentor for the first time!)

24. Cindy S says:

Oh Sarah, I love your newly acquired “glory box”, what a great find!!! It looks so sweet sitting there all white and shabby! You’ve done it again girl! Hugs,Cindy

25. Kammy says:

I love to come visit all your “whiteness” so different from all my black, LOL !
    Sunburn ?? We have had 25 inches of snow so far, here in Colorado – we are wearing our parkas, mittens and scarfs !

26. Marcia says:

It turned out great. I loved the part about not wanting to be bothered with doing extra coats of paint. That is so me. You always inspire.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

27. Hello Sarah, this dresser is fab, specially like the way you displayed it and your pictures are so gorgeous… and thank you so much for teaching how to do it… someday I´ll put myself to work!!
    Your blog is stunningly beautiful!!!!!
    Cariños
    María Cecilia

28. JM says:

I, too, would like to know where that lovely glass bulb came from. It looks so effortless atop the beautifully painted glory box! Your style never ceases to amaze me, great work.

29. Susan says:

Sarah…she turned out lovely! And your pictures are always soo pretty. I think you could photograph a paper bag and I’d want to go get one the very next day. ;-)
    I’ll check out the tutorial. Thanks!
    Susan