Old Country Shabby Beach Cottage Stool

Mon 26th, Oct, 2009

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

200910-Shabby-Stool-01

Hi girls, how you going…it’s very cold here in New South Wales, not at all what I expected to wake up to this morning, glad I made that Minestrone yesterday, think one may be eating that for lunch today too.

I recently found this old stool – brimming with shabby, peely, country cottage style!  Rescued it one day, sprinting to nab it before someone else did.

Would you of picked this up? Apparently those who were with me, would not -  admittedly it is not looking full of potential here but I could see it…among the debris…just!

200910-Shabby-Stool-02

Observations on this from those others in this cottage as I slung it in the boot of the car – ‘rusty’, ‘yuck’, ‘this is going too shabby’…but I liked it, just a faint hint of the slightest pink and thought it might well be a nice addition as a little sidetable for one’s coffee and book, because of course there is such a distinct lack of furniture in this place *wink.

200910-Shabby-Stool-03

Sadly as I picked it up the wooden ‘seat’ kinda came off which made balancing a cup of coffee on it tricky, so guess what came to the rescue?  DIY skills and hot glue gun, of course!

I’ve got no further than that but thought it would contrast nicely with white and sit happily with these ever-so-pale-hint-of-pink flowers – I have vague ideas of spray painting the legs with that rust-off paint…anyone used that?  Wonder if it works?  I wiped it clean just for this ‘before’ shot and not sure that if I sand it down there will be any peely paint left, so may have to just leave the top as is…

200910-Shabby-Stool-04

Don’t forget theBeach Cottage interview at Houzz with the giveaway is still open, if you’d like a chance to win a Pottery Barn voucher, then pop over and leave a comment!

p.s. if you’re interested in other junkin’ finds, go here for a side/coffee table which turned out singing or the coffee table in the Family Room that I rescued here

200910-Shabby-Stool-05

blogged for Kimba’s event, thanks for hosting!

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

66 Responses to “Old Country Shabby Beach Cottage Stool”

1. Michelle says:

I adore your stool! Love it!

Smiles!
    Michelle

2. Jennifer says:

I do really like the pink paint. Can’t wait to see what you end up doing, if anything.

3. I kinda like it just as it is… rusty & shabby and all.

4. Hi Sarah
    You could polish the old timber stool top with beeswax or a cream furniture polish, use very fine wire wool (steel wool) 000 or 0000 grade is good, to apply the wax, then polish it off with a soft cloth, gives a gorgeous deep sheen to old timber.
    Tony uses this method on his timber tops, also good for painted pieces
    You probably already know of this method, but just in case!

~Gail

5. Like the contrast of the “table” with the pink and the white items sitting on the top!

6. It is perfect, Sarah. Simply perfect.

7. Kathleen says:

Hi SARAH,
    What did we do before glue guns and spray paint?
    Such a pretty pink flower..
    Thanks for visiting !

8. Jackie says:

Yes I would have picked it up and it looks so pretty with the flowers on it. Actually you just reminded me of an old chair I got years ago. I wonder if it’s still under the house. Must go and check. I havent been under the house for years since our hot water service blew a hole in it’s top and of course it happened on a Friday night and Tony was away for the weekend in a place with no mobile phone coverage but that’s another story.lol So I guess the moral to the story is to ignore those with you they just dont get it lol.

9. Lori says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog ~ I am so excited you did because now I found you ~ I love your blog and I love seeing all of your pictures and stories of your beach cottage ~
    YAYYYYY !
    xoxo
    Lori

10. kathy says:

love love love it, yes I would have picked it up too.

11. Hhmmm… can it ever be too shabby? Clearly the fellow BC treasure hunters were not in their right mind that day!! Good get Sarah.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

12. Ruby says:

the stool looks perfect – i wouldn’t change a thing. nice find! ruby

13. NM says:

So simple and so perfect-I would leave it just the way you have it.

Hope the weather where you are clears up. We have just had the biggest storm in months. The thunder and lightning were spectacular.

Best wishes, NM.

14. julia says:

It’s so much fun finding pieces like that – in my hometown trash shopping is a competitive sport.

15. Janean says:

Hot glue to the rescue! Did it work on metal?

16. bj says:

Cute cute lil’ stool!

17. Oh, I love that! I would have grabbed it, too! I wouldn’t change it at all – I love all of the rust.

While at the veterinarian last week, I noticed that they had a fabulous little side table in their bathroom, with a tablecloth thrown on top – presumably to hide the shabbiness of it. It was absolute perfection. I’m thinking of asking them if I could buy them a new table so I could have that one. :D

18. I agree – what did we do before glue guns and spray paint. Beautiful flower and shell ball.

19. Jane says:

Sarah~

I adore the table and would have snatched it up if I had seen it before you!! It just has to stay the way it is so that the marvelous shade of pale pink can show through. Maybe the Rustoleum on the legs would make it look a bit less outdoor~like and maybe if you dapped some white paint on and then sanded that a bit, it would look more at home. Just some thoughts…

How I love finding buried treasures like these. The rose looks perfect on it.

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoyed your post and will come by again! :-)

xoxo
    Jane

20. I love that! And everything you’ve paired it with is so crisp, that it doesn’t look overly shabby…just right.

21. Jane says:

I love the stool just the way it is…true shabby chic!

Jane

22. Christy says:

It is a little rusty for my taste, but I think it looks great in your space!

23. Morning T says:

I love it Sarah and those pink flowers sweeten it up for sure!

24. You are simply amazing! I found your link through A Soft Place to Land last week and have been addicted to your site ever since. Hard to believe that so many different and absolutely wonderful blogs link up in one place every week.

I have so much to learn. :)

-Francesca

25. I like it! Perfect for the beach cottage.

26. I absolutely would’ve picked up that stool!! Either people “get” the shabby thing or they don’t. I can look at the rustiest old fence or broken down something or other and fall in love with it and my husband just sees the rust or the wear and tear. He definitely doesn’t “get” it!! But he still lets me bring it home anyway. : )

~ Wendy

27. So fresh and pretty. LOVE the pink geraniums!!

28. Hey Sarah- I think is is perfect “as is”. I would of flipped you for it had I been shopping with you. lol Just Kidding. Here in Minnesota, this type of thing the industrial with the rust and shabby chic appeal is very popular. I would actually give the lower metal part a spray of polyeurethane to keep the rust as is and protect it and than maybe do what Gail suggested with the top wood piece. It’s truly lovely Sarah and like you say is perfect for that cup of coffee, tea, or a book. You found a winner here.

29. Rachel says:

Mmm….love it Sarah! I actually think she’s perfect as is. ;)

Smiles,
    Rachel

30. Vale says:

Hello Sara and thanks for your nice words! Your stool is faboulous! I adore its shabby look and with the pale pink flower is enchanting! You’re lucky to find it!
    Vale

31. VeronicaTM says:

i would have picked it up in a second! such a great find!
    love your blog and your house!

32. Paula Jean says:

I would have picked it up too. And, thanks to you, I would do it proudly, not sneakily … meaning, I would say, yep, I need that no matter who I was with. :)

Loved your post about the free junque table, too!

33. Sharon says:

Love the peeling paint on the stool. Aren’t you glad not everyone would pick it up … that means you could take it home. All those other people have to go to stores and buy boring furniture.

34. Heather says:

I would have pulled that out of the bushes – it’s adorable!! I forget you are moving into summer there and we are full on fall here. Your pretty geraniums are so happy.

35. Hi Sarah!
    First off, let me tell you how tickled I am that you notice my little ol’ blog! I so love coming to yours every- day…. and your style is so wonderful & peaceful. I definitely would have picked up the stool as well! It looks so nice with the geranium blooms…btw I love that shade of pink geranium! I had a few of those a couple summers ago & I forgot how sweet they are!

love it all…as usual~ thanks so much for sharing your talents!

Shellagh

36. Sarah,
    Don’t know how you ever found my little blog but thanks for the visit and nice comment. I am blown away by the beauty of your home. What great tips and ideas. How wonderful to live your dream, and while your young to enjoy it. Lisa

37. carold says:

I always spray a coat of clear acrylic sealer over all of my rusty, crusty, metal finds to bring out the deeper color of the metal and keep it from peeling. Otherwise it is perfect as is.

38. Hello Sarah, wow!! you have a very beautiful and charming white cottage, just LOVE it!! and your images are awesome!!
    Thank you very much for your visit and sweet comment.
    I´ll be back alwyas to enjoy your home.
    Muchos cariños
    María Cecilia, from Chile

39. What a lovely little stool. Is there anything a glue gun can’t fix? Well, maybe, but it’s a great tool. That was a piece worth saving.

40. m says:

I sure would have picked it up too!! Your eyes just see with a vision that your friends’ don’t have. It’s just darling!

m ^..^

41. It’s the perfect chippy, peely work of art right now. But if you change it, I want to see!

42. Great stool! It’s perfect just the way it is. Industrial chic at it’s best!

43. Sarah says:

Hey Sarah…

I love your little stool…too cute…

my name is Sarah too!

But I don’t live at the beach, more’s the pity,
    I live in Oklahoma…waaahhh, trying not to be jealous, trying not to be jealous…failing…

blessings,

44. Cindy S says:

Sarah, you are amazing, somehow you can make anything look fantastic. If it were in my house I would despair of it ever looking like anything. You have the magic touch! Hugs, Cindy S.

45. Jane says:

Another vote for leaving it as is!

46. Sheila says:

Sarah, I vote for it to stay as is. I think it is really neat, and I think it has some major character going on now.

If you could see the house I photographed yesterday, you would see a major shabby project that I think it the neatest thing ever.

Great find!

XO,

Sheila

47. Sheila says:

I forgot to say, it belongs to my neighbor in St. Augustine. It dates to the late 1700′s.

48. Tanja says:

Hugs Tanja

49. pk says:

What a great find! Makes such a cute little table and the way you’ve accessorized and photographed it is fab! Have a good day…

pk @ Room Remix

50. Brenda Kula says:

I would have grabbed the stool and immediately thought of putting it in the garden. With a pretty fern perched on it trailing the fronds down the legs so prettily.
    Brenda

51. Brenda says:

I definitely would have picked it up. I nabbed an old, paint spattered step stool that others thought best left in the heap. I love thinking about the hardworking history of well used pieces.

52. This is just one inspirational blog! Rather than that seat/side table, I am interested where that white ball comes from….

53. Hello Sarah,
    Lovely stool, so cute.
    Thank you for visit in my blog.
    Greetings from Finland,
    Riitta

54. Of COURSE I would have picked it up! :-) And immediately stuck a lantern on it and placed it on the porch between two of our highback rocking chairs.

Good junquing as usual!

55. Kimby says:

I think you should wax the top and paint the bottom white. I think the legs kind of take attention away from the top, and the top is marvelous with the pink! The legs are just a little too rusty for my taste and I like shabby chic. ;o)

56. janice power says:

funny how it takes such a huge move or a sickness in ones life to realize what is important, you make me laugh because I really do not like my kitchen, and I know I can change this, but my husband likes it, (trust me there is nothing to like about it) I own this home, I am so very lucky to be here and I need to settle into this home, I have been trying to make this home mine and it does take time to settle in, I am so happy you are here, now there and now on othere sites, Sarah you are wonderful…and I adore you so much, when I read your storys it does make me laugh and for that alone I thank you, I ordered my slip covers from PoertyBarn (yuks) but I did it and now I shall do one room at a time, I have found some gr8 rustic pieces..this is where I get stuck do I paint them? how will I know what to do with these..each all have different paintt of them, should I strip them and stare at them until I know? Like you when you moved we are alone in our decorating, I do not know anyone here, I want to take down all the kitchen cabinets and put in open shelves, not sure how to do this, I shall keep reading abeachcottage to find advise on “how to do projects” you are my inspiration Sarah and your adorable personailty I admire so much…

Kindly, Janice Power

57. Hi Sarah!

Don’t you just love finding these awesome little pieces that nobody else loves and then giving them a home? I love the stool.

Have a wonderful day!

58. Hootin' Anni says:

This piece could really tell us stories from the past!!
    I love your photo compositions!!!

My Show n Tell is a slide show this week.

Happy weekend, happy Halloween if you observe it…no matter, just BE SAFE!

CLICK HERE for my Show n Tell

59. Leann says:

Looking at the “found” photo – probably not. But the “perfectly placed” photo makes me say yes!

Love the pink geraniums!
    Leann

60. Sheila says:

WOW your photos are great. love the stool.. The pink flowers just pop… I absolutley would have picked it up..

61. I know I already commented, but I love this stool. The chippiness of it is perfection.

62. Kammy says:

Super cute and chippy !
    Kammy

63. fitty says:

awww I would pick up this stool anytime.. love the rustic and white chippy paint.. just lovely.. would look great at any corners! even in the garden…

64. Alison Gibbs says:

Sarah love the stool ‘as is’
    Alison

65. The stool is is cute! I love how the rusty metal looks against fresh white! I would just put some clear paint over it to keep it from chipping off!