DIY Beach Cottage White

Tue 20th, Oct, 2009

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-01

I find myself more and more at the moment drawn to white.  It seems to go in phases like that with me, mostly when I’m stressed and busy or both, I like white.  Which of course is the beauty of a neutral colour scheme.  Decide on colour and you can easily and cheaply add some…for me this is mostly through flowers and linens…and when, like now, I decide to undo it all and sink into the calming blank canvas of white…I can.

I don’t know about you, but in the quiet of the day, I try to straighten up the the Sitting Room, tidy up the mess, ‘ready’ for that time in the evening at about 8 or eight-thirty, when all has finally calmed, the youngest one is sound asleep in bed, the kiddos are back from their various sports, it’s ever-so dark outside and time for the oldies to sit down and zone out.

So the other day as I was doing this, I decided it was about time to get going on a little task I’ve been pro-crastinating about forever – using some old vintage pillowslips to make some new cushion covers for the sofa…to throw in with the putty stripe and linens and the easiest way for me, without spending any money to add a bit of new interest and life to the room (and if you want to see the sofa dressed up differently, try it with new Coastal Cushions here, the before shot of the Sitting Room & makeover here and on a Friday night ;-) here).

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-02

As I finally got the cushion covers done and on I decided to pull the stripe completely..whipped off the putty stripe table runner too, which incidentally was in dire need of a wash and then gave the old painted white table a good clean.

Put away the few accessories that were, ahem, not white and searched the house for white candles, added a couple of shells and tealights….

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-03

{ enjoying the trunk with the white! }

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-04

{ gotta love me some dollar store candles :-) }

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-05

All of a sudden my quick Do-it-Yourself white re-do came together…just how I wanted it…a few old vintage linens, a much-loved squashy sofa, an old coffee table full of life…

candlelight and an oldie just waiting to sit down and watch TV.

Not bad for free, eh?

Good job as it probably won’t last long round here…

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-06

if you’d like to see some more pics and read a bit more, go here for my tips, decorating ideas and how to get the country-coastal white style look…on a budget

200910-Beach-Cottage-White-07 200910-Beach-Cottage-White-08

blogged for Procrastinator Party at The Inspired Room, thanks to Melissa for giving me the ooomph to get this done!

and of course the DIY event atKimbas – where each week us girls show how we can get it done!

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

46 Responses to “DIY Beach Cottage White”

1. I so love to admire your white wonderland, oh that thing you call home. It’s so refreshing and relaxing. Love those dollar store candles, they’re my favorite kind!

2. Jennifer says:

It’s beautiful, one day, when the kiddos are a bit bigger and less prone to so much dirt etc. It really is gorgeous.

3. Daphne says:

How about other tags such as:
    smile
    enjoy
    thankful
    love
    smell (kitchen for baking :P)
    peace
    hope
    fresh
    us

4. cielo says:

Thanks for stopping by the house in the roses, Sarah… you have a lovely lovely home… and thank you for participating in “Show Off Your Cottage Monday”…. hope to see you again next Monday!

Hugs and blessings

Cielo

5. Sheila says:

It’s charming, Sarah!

XO,

Sheila

6. You room looks so soft and serene. I’m sure it’s hard to walk by that sofa and not curl up in it. I love the shell spheres and the candles. Just gorgeous.

7. Peaceful ,nice, and comfy==just don’t dress in white or we might never find you!lol

8. Hattie says:

I think I could fall into that sofa and not get up for a very long time! I love that you make white look so inviting and comfy – there is nothing cold or unwelcoming about the way you layer the color and add so much texture. Bee-u-tif-ful!

9. cindy says:

Ahhhh…so incredibly peaceful and peace-filled. I’m doing the same around here….going neutral and white. Loving it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    peace.

10. mary says:

Oh my this is a wonderful and cozy look!! Love your sofa and all the layering you did!

blessings
    mary

11. Dee says:

I want to snuggle in and take a nap on that beautiful couch! So cozy!

12. Michelle says:

love your new pillows! so fresh!

SMiles!
    Michelle

13. Ah, peaceful serenity! I love that room!! Bliss!

14. (Thank you Sarah, for being a part of the procrastinator’s party!)

15. Traci says:

Love all the pillows. I am wanting to make some pillows for my couch soon.
    The pictures are beautiful!
    Blessings,
    Traci

16. Jayne says:

I want to live in your home! By the time (several years ago) I realized I wanted an all white home, it was impossible to pull it off. So, when possible I enjoy it vicariously – like through your procrastinator’s blog! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
    Enjoy the serenity!
    Blessings,
    Jayne at mysongwithin

17. Tamera says:

So pretty and fresh! I love to look at the all white and can truly appreciate it, even though I am drawn to color.
    Love your blog!
    Tamera@doubledelight

18. Suzan says:

I love your pretty white couch! I have a barely off white slipcover on mine which I like because I can throw it in the washer and get it clean in a hurry. I do love the look of all the pillows (cushions). You have inspired me to add more to mine!

19. Love the vintage linen cushion cover Sarah.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

20. Congratulations it looks GREAT!

Gail

21. Pearl Maple says:

Congratulations, the beach cottage does look fabulous in all shades of white and most importantly like a cozy quiet nook to tuck yourself up in and relax.

22. donna says:

Hi Sarah, as usual the room looks beautiful.I was not as brave as you when I bought my sofa and went with the putty color. Even though I have tons of white pillows on it I adore your putty stripe ones and cannot find anything even similar!I have spent way to many hours online trying to find them with no luck.Please tell me you know where I can find some. I noticed yours are sold out. Thanks for any help you can be…..

23. It’s beautiful. I, too, have been craving more calm in my decor and have taken out color to be replaced with cream and black.

24. Courtney says:

I too crave white and cleanliness when life gets particularly stressful. Your home is always so beautiful and inspiring!

25. Your pictures never fail to entice me in some way! And your photography always captures the perfect feel. Thanks for your inspiration!

Thanks for linking to my party at

Funky Junk Donna

26. fitty says:

WHITE is the new colour for 2009! so serene and calm.. your room..

27. Beautiful! Amazing photos too. I’m ALWAYS drawn to white. I don’t have that much of it in my house for some reason, but I would say 90% of my inspiration photos are of white rooms. Go figure :).

28. Brenda Kula says:

Sarah, I do think that old trunk was one of your best buys. It exudes character and history. And balances out the white with other colors similar to it. Great job!
    Brenda

29. Cherry says:

I’m on my way to spend the day on your couch ..lol
    So lovely! hugs, Cherry

30. I’m so pleased to know you have dollar stores down under. Amazing what one can find there.

31. Susan says:

Lovely. This is what I want in our bedroom…only a blue green wall. I’ll get there ;D

Where did you find those lovely shell spheres?

32. Rachel says:

LOVE the cushion covers, Sarah! Oh SO pretty! Love your sitting room, as usual. :) AND I’m lovin how your vintage trunk is looking with the white! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Smiles,
    Rachel

33. Vicki says:

Now that’s a sofa to Celebrate – love the new pillow covers.
    Have a happy day.
    vicki

34. Jackie says:

Ugh! Sarah! I’d do a lot of terrible, terrible things to make your home become my home!

But since terrible things are generally… you know… terrible – please please please tell me there is at *least* a way to get my hands on those white shell balls you have strewn here and there!

I’m desperate to own, like, 600 of them. Or even one. I’d settle for one! I’m so in love with them!

35. Your home is just so lovely and I love when you share pictures with us. : )

~ Wendy

36. Cindy S says:

Your new pillows are gorgeous! I love to make pillow covers too. I am about to make some new ones for my couch. That way we always have something to blog about, right? I love that you blog about your cottage and your life, that is exactly what I do and people actually enjoy it! I know I love reading about what you are doing! You have a wildly popular blog and I can see why, you have such a great sense of humor! Hugs, Cindy S.

37. Leoni says:

Yes, where did you get those gorgeous shell balls?

38. shell spheres from a shop that no longer ever seem to have them…I grabbed them months ago and never seen them since…maybe I should buy a shed load of them if I ever see them again and could sell them on the stock exchange hahaha!

S
    xo

39. thanks Cindy S for your kind thoughts!!!!

40. fairmaiden says:

I just recently wrote on my blog “white never disappoints” …I had just put up some new sailcloth white curtains in my wee vintage travel trailer. I have also been returning to the all white palette…I usually do in winter. Then comes spring and summer when I like to add splashes of happy colors. Your sofa looks like it belongs in Rachel Ashwell’s store or home.

41. andrea frost says:

Hi sarah…YES white is always a calming influence..my kitchen is all white..& brings me back to reality…!!!

Love what you have done..

I have gone PINK MAD!!! not for my home decor..
    but for my ebay goodies..

I go through phases!!!

xx andrea

42. niki says:

Is there anything better than dollar store candles? I am thinking no!

Great post..thanks for sharing. Your home is just gorgeous. I appreciate your insights on DIY.

Stop by and see me sometime over at Free2BeFrugal.

43. "m" says:

Very pretty, and serene. My white slipcovered sofa has slipcovers! (covered in colored quilts and pillows….grandchildren live here)

44. astrid says:

OH MY! LOVE IT! LOVE it!

I absolutely adore that ball of white seashells too….