Finding an Old Vintage Window on a Beach Cottage Walk

Wed 16th, Sep, 2009

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 4 Buffer 0 4 Flares ×

200909-Old-Vintage-Window-01

G’day sweeties!

My morning started as if often does, here, with a coffee and a walk on the beach

But today I took a detour from my usual oceanside walk to the post office – happily walking along minding my own business, headphones in, pounding for my mental health, I happened upon a skip.

Of course I couldn’t not look in.  I mean it was outside an old tumble down cottage in the middle of town.

Inside was the best old vintage window, I’ve been after one for AGES.

Oooooh ladies!  I was soooo excited!!!!

I tried to lift it out but it was sorta wedged in, I thought about phoning the only friend I have who would understand the finding-a-vintage-window thing, but then thought it might be best left to my Assistants, Mr BC & Mr Teenage BC and their amazing powers to turn our car into the Beach Cottage Junking Mobile.

200909-Old-Vintage-Window-02

It’s been there in my mind ALL DAY, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, I kept assuming some other Queen of Vintage might have got her little mits on it…and the later it got, the less chance I was gonna have to persuade my Assistant’s to go get it… it’s all I could think about, I have been positively consumed by thoughts of vintage windows.

I just had to tell someone about it and thought you all might listen, I mean I can hardly turn up at the school jumping up and down about old neglected stuff in a skip, can I?  There would be profuse shaking of the mummy heads.

Out here in the vastness of blogland though, with my vintage-white-lovin’-friends, I love that it doesn’t feel weird to hyper-ventilate about old unloved things destined for landfill, moreover I feel positively brimming with anticipation to show y’all.

and here it is…and they just walked in with it…oh god, I love it

I snapped it quickly, photo quality is poor, sorry, it’s dark but you get the idea…

200909-Old-Vintage-Window-03

it’s much much chunkier than I thought and I hoped that the shelf to the bottom was still attached…it was…it’s chippy and peely and has remnants of light frenchy blue paint on it…sigh…sigh…sigh

200909-Old-Vintage-Window-04

I love that you get it (purlease tell me you do) and that I can share it.

I think you’ll be jumping up and down with me…?????

…and of course, leaving me suggestions for what on earth I can do with it, all my ideas were based around something a whole lot less errrm bulky than this

200909-Old-Vintage-Window-05

I won’t tell you how much begging I had to do to those two to go out after dark and salvage.

I will tell you it involved…um…favours…from cooking favourite dinners to much more, how shall we say, errrm, well you know…favours…

Stop by tomorrow chicklets I will be nursing a vintage window back to life.

Woot Woot, get ya hooters out for me.

It’s the little things…I’m one happy gal in a tatty old beach cottage

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 4 Buffer 0 4 Flares ×

56 Responses to “Finding an Old Vintage Window on a Beach Cottage Walk”

1. sharron says:

A wonderful treasure to find!!!! I love old windows and am amazed when they are tossed out!!!
    Have fun with it… I cannot wait to see what you do next!

2. Lori says:

Jumping up and down with you…it’s lovely!

3. Suzan says:

I am going “shopping” this weekend for the very same thing except I want mine a tiny bit larger. I am going to slap some legs on it, a nice piece of glass on the top and I will have a coffee table. Wish me luck!

4. justine says:

OOH gorgeous find……..
    Totally relate to the mad anticipation of waiting for muscles assistance!
    Wondering all day then finally bringing home your treasure, I think jumping out of ones skin is totally justifiable;)
    Can’t wait to see what it transforms into
    x
    ~Justine~

5. Ooooh of course we get it!! WOW!!!
    It *is* quite bulky, huh? But so much possibilities!

6. Debi says:

Oh yeah!! After my father died & my mom decided to move from their big OLD house, I snagged all the crystal cabinet door knobs & pulls (there were tons) and an old window sitting in the garage. I still haven’t done anything with it – living in this teeny rental, though I love it, limits me. But the day will come.

I SO get this!
    :) Debi

7. Great find! I totally see this with the window panes replaced with mirrors and a small vase sitting on that shelf. Or some shells. Perhaps as a mirror for a guest bath or by the front door to check yourself before heading out?

8. ohsovintage says:

Oh, I would have been on tenterhooks all day, so worried someone else would have spied it too. I do understand how one can go into raptures aout n old window. others wouldn’t but I can empathise. Looking forward to seeing it in situ.

9. You see, I would have planted myself in that skip bin and waited for the reinforcement to arrive!

10. Lululiz says:

You have trained your assistants very well, lol, can’t see my DH and DSs doing the same for me. Its a great find!

11. janet says:

how’d you hold your breath all day? i’d've been a bundle of nerves.

12. Becky says:

I posted about my own window. You’ll have to weed through other thought of the day. And please note that I have since painted over the owl as he was kinda creepy looking in a trying-to-be-friendly-sort of way.

My windows are very chippy and old and beaten. I think it makes them better. Character.

I hope you can figure out the perfect thing to do with yours.

13. Shelia says:

Hi Sarah! Oh, I’m so glad I’ve had a bladder repair surgery because I am jumping up and down with you! :)
    I’m so glad your were able to have this great window. I can’t think of what you can do with it, but I have faith in you! You’ll figure it out!
    Woo Hooness! Can I stop jumping up and down now? :)
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

14. ooh wow becky I just stopped by your link up there, mmm mmm yours are gorgeous, love too that they are pink

my mind is starting to tinker

keep em coming girls, I really need help…smile

xos

15. Dream Mom says:

I don’t remember your cottage very well so I don’t know if this would work but here’s what I am thinking…I’d use it near the front or back door-I like the idea of replacing the glass with mirror and hanging it on the wall and then I am thinking I would put some hooks on the wall next to it to hang up a coat or sweater or whatever. The ledge would be great to hold keys or whatever while you are ready to walk out the door.

Another idea might be to use it over a stove and then use the ledge for salt/pepper shakers or pretty, vintage glass bottles. For the life of me, I can’t remember your kitchen right now so I don’t know if this is even an option.

16. cherrie says:

I totally absolutely get it. If you are running out of room in the house how about on the back porch.

17. Floss says:

Of course we get it! That’s one of the best things about blogland, isn’t it – I now know I am not the only supposedly sane woman who thinks that skips and charity shops are the place to be! Thank you God!!!

Lovely window. I have some very good photos of an old window in a French mag and if I can find them I’ll put them on my blog so you get an idea of what the French would do with it!

18. prettythings says:

My first thoughts were to use it as a tray and replace the glass with mirrors, or a shelf in the bathroom or hall, but I am loving the table idea!

Great score!

19. m says:

Oh, you lucky duck!!! How cool is that???!!! That bottom ledge is just begging for a starfish to be propped upon it! Can’t wait to see the “reveal”!!!

m ^..^

20. Morning T says:

It’s lovely Sarah! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

21. Love it, Sarah! Skips and hooters, I had to reread to get those words, ha! since we obviously have different meanings here. So happy for you & your new window.

22. Courtney says:

I love it, Sarah! It’s funny because I just noticed some old windows in my landlord’s barn yesterday, and hinted to my boyfriend that he should ask him if he’s going to keep them, and if not, could we have one or two..

I’m excited to see how your’s turns out. Your decorating projects are always so fun and creative!

23. WEll, I am glad I am not the only one who gets consumed, no , obsessed by junking finds left un-rescued. I have spent days agonizing over things left. WOnderful find..can’t wait to see what you are going to do with it!

24. I totally get it! I have a pile of old windows in my garage, waiting for inspiration, so I can’t wait to see what you do with this. (My kids totally know when to alert me if they see a window contractor at a house, ripping out those beauties!)

Here is one idea I saw that I’m going to try:

25. Gorgeous! I found a blue one that i LOVE and can’t seem to decide on anything to do with it. Please do share what you decide!

26. KarenSue says:

Boy do I know that feeling! There are people that just don’t get it. That’s ok-we do! Can’t wait to see what you do with it. I stopped for an large old wooden box that now holds pillows and blankets in the living room. It’s so cool. I need to blog about it. OK, I will.
    Fun day to you.

27. Paula Jean says:

Oooo, boy! I love it! I have 2 lovely salvaged windows of my own that I’m hatching plans for. I am planning to make use of a mirror affect on 1 of them – thinking about painting the mirror coatings to the back. Then, hang on the wall and then attach a ribbon or fabric swatch to make it appear as if it is hanging from the fabric/ribbon.

I love the idea of making it into a spot to drop keys and bric a brac by the door. And the idea of using it as a window/mirror over a stove or some other spot that needs a dash more of light. Perhaps this would be fun to add to your plans for mirrors in the WC?

You are MOST definitely not crazy for getting so excited about this! Bless your “assistants” for being such dears to go fetch your new addition!

28. Sami Melton says:

What a beauty and I just love the way you wrote this – it made me feel like I was right there with you on your walk. So fun!

29. Lou says:

Beautiful!
    I’ve missed your blog!
    glad to be back!
    ? smiles from Denver!
    Loui

30. Leigh says:

I am so jealous! I saw the window and was biting my lip with envy!
    Can’t wait to see it beautified!!!

31. Sammy Girl says:

Hello Sarah! Mmmm …. whether you call it a skip or “dumpster diving” … it’s all SUPER! And we can say we are SO ECO friendly! A veritable beacon of good citizenship! So glad it was there when you got back.
    Even though the window is bulkier than you thought, your great imagination and eye for design will come up with a fabulous use for the salvaged beauty.
    I used a couple of your pics on my last post … and referred back to your site. Hope that was okay.
    Hugs and have a super day!
    Betty :)

32. Tina says:

Gotta love the power of “favors”!!!!

I scored a window too! Still sitting in the garage waiting for it’s debut. It’s roughly 5′ x 5′, with 20 panes!!!! I plan on tastefully accenting each pane with family photos and memorabillia positioned on both sides of each pane. Then hanging it in our dining room above the half-wall leading to our stairway!

Can’t wait to see your final design.

Tina

33. Vicki Archer says:

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your window….I love a great find too, xv.

34. Jen H. says:

Oooh, nice find! I would totally have snagged that too, if I’d seen it first. Good thing I’m not your neighbour, LOL.

A good scrubbing and I think I might just hang it as-is on the wall. At least until I thought of something more creative/functional to make with it…:)

35. Sue says:

YEAH…good find..glad it waited for you to return! can you imagine if the skip had been emptied?
    Can’t wait to see the results!
    Sue

36. Rachel says:

I “so get it” Sarah! Was a great and exiting find for you…and for free none the less!! I just love old windows…sigh. ;)

Smiles,
    Rachel

37. Celia says:

Great find! Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Love all the ideas everyone has come up with.

38. I just started reading your blog a few days ago – referred to a friend and I love it! You’ve got great taste!
    That window is a great find. I just found one myself. I’d love to show you a picture of what I did with mine – if your interested. I’ll send you a pic. I hung it in my bathroom and used it as a sort of picture frame with vinyl lettering on it that says “sea, sand, sun”…. Good luck and I can’t wait to see what you do with YOURS!

39. Mercy, that’s just plain gorgeous. I’m a trash picker from way back ;-)

40. amy says:

LOL!
    Those favors usually get the job done!

41. desiree says:

it looks gorgeus So well done at taking it out of that yellow thing ;)

My idea is you just leave it the way it is and use it like I am using my shutters… put it on a nice cabinet and make a nice decor with them, putting things you love in front of them…

If you have a look at my latest posts… the garden table in front of the concrete wall or my big big counter with the shutters and little zink cabinet on it you might understand what I mean.. keep us updated ;)
    all the best
    desiree

42. Rita May says:

Mr.BC should appreciate that he can get you this happy with something he picked up in the trash, and not something he needs to buy from Tiffanys.
    Can’t wait to see what you do with it. I have several old windows myself, and am still in love with them…as much as my bauble from Tiffanys.
    Cheers! Rita

43. Good for you!! I understand completely.

44. Sarah S-B says:

High 5 for you!!! well done what a GREAT find – LOVE it!!!! :)

45. Heidi @: heidi-heartandhome.blogspot.com says:

OOOOO…..you lucky girl, I am so happy for you! What a find!! It’s a good one, that’s for sure.
    How about putting mirror where the glass is? Then it would double the size of any room it’s in…. or just leave it as is and use the shelf and just love that it’s yours now…
    XO
    Heidi – Heart and Home

46. sara says:

Phew! glad it ended up coming home with you. I would’ve had to guard it all day before the reinforcements arrived. I’ve got two at home waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Maybe mirrors or photo frames or pin boards.

47. Chrissy says:

Sweet find….lucky bugger!!

48. Alison Gibbs says:

Sarah can’t wait to se what you do with it
    Alison

49. María says:

Hi!
    First of all, excuse me for my english, i’m Spanish.
    I LOVE the old window you found. Lucky girl!! ;)
    What about replacing it with mirrors and setting it on your powder room walls over the “sink”? By the way, i’m still curious about your its makeover…
    Cheers from the old continent!! ;)

50. Vicki says:

LOVE the window…..I think this is the “find” of the year. Can’t wait to see where you use it.
    Vicki

51. Leoni says:

Too funny! If you are going to mount it on a wall somewhere, you could put some lights in behind the glass so it glows…..

52. Allison says:

Totally worth the “favors”… great find!!

53. When I went to England I looked in skips ALL the time…but alas all the yummy stuff I found wouln’t fit in to the overhead on the plane…so I had to leave it…but oh the fun I had dreaming!!

54. I love your chunky window! I was just giving a friend advice the other day on what to do with hers, but…. yours is much deeper. I would love to build a wall cabinet with the window as the door. Your window is fabulous just hung on the wall! I love it, really!

~Misti